ASIA/SYRIA - Bishop Vera López’ humanitarian mission
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Mexican Bishop Raul Vera Lopez OP will be part of a delegation of 12 observers who in the first half of June will try to enter Syria to collect data and information on the atrocities and human rights violations taking place in the Country torn by the civil war. According to information attributed to the Diocese of Saltillo, Mgr. Lopez’ mission in Syria will take place after the spiritual retreat that the bishop is preaching to the Dominican community in Puerto Rico.
The Dominican Raul Vera Lopez was coadjutor bishop of San Cristobal de Las Casas in the years when the Archdiocese of Chiapas was ruled by Bishop Samuel Ruiz Garcia. In 2000 Vera López became bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, in northeastern Mexico. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize in 2012 for his commitment to the defense of human rights. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/05/2013).
- 2015-02-27 - Anguish for Christians held hostage by jihadists; Syrian Catholic Archbishop Hindo: avoid unnecessary alarm
- 2015-02-26 - The jihadists of the Islamic State deport Christian prisoners of the villages of Khabur
- 2015-02-25 - Christian villages attacked: more than 100 hostages in the hands of the jihadists; Archbishop Hindo denounces the "wretched" choices of the West
- 2015-02-24 - Islamic State jihadists attack Christian villages along the river Khabur
- 2015-02-20 - Syrian-Orthodox priest detained by Kurds is released
- 2015-02-19 - Orthodox priest and laity arrested by Kurd military
- 2015-02-06 - Kurdish Militia regain control of Tel Hormuz, reestablished the cross removed by jihadists
- 2015-02-06 - Bombing in Damascus, the Franciscan monastery attacked in the area of Bab Touma
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children