ASIA/SYRIA - Bishop Vera López’ humanitarian mission
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Mexican Bishop Raul Vera Lopez OP will be part of a delegation of 12 observers who in the first half of June will try to enter Syria to collect data and information on the atrocities and human rights violations taking place in the Country torn by the civil war. According to information attributed to the Diocese of Saltillo, Mgr. Lopez’ mission in Syria will take place after the spiritual retreat that the bishop is preaching to the Dominican community in Puerto Rico.
The Dominican Raul Vera Lopez was coadjutor bishop of San Cristobal de Las Casas in the years when the Archdiocese of Chiapas was ruled by Bishop Samuel Ruiz Garcia. In 2000 Vera López became bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, in northeastern Mexico. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize in 2012 for his commitment to the defense of human rights. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/05/2013).
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped