ASIA/SYRIA - Bishop Vera López’ humanitarian mission
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Mexican Bishop Raul Vera Lopez OP will be part of a delegation of 12 observers who in the first half of June will try to enter Syria to collect data and information on the atrocities and human rights violations taking place in the Country torn by the civil war. According to information attributed to the Diocese of Saltillo, Mgr. Lopez’ mission in Syria will take place after the spiritual retreat that the bishop is preaching to the Dominican community in Puerto Rico.
The Dominican Raul Vera Lopez was coadjutor bishop of San Cristobal de Las Casas in the years when the Archdiocese of Chiapas was ruled by Bishop Samuel Ruiz Garcia. In 2000 Vera López became bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, in northeastern Mexico. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize in 2012 for his commitment to the defense of human rights. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/05/2013).
- 2015-11-18 - Assad: "Putin is the only defender of Christian civilization"
- 2015-11-17 - Pax Christi: need to put an end to the support to jihadist groups
- 2015-11-11 - Assyrian associations denounce the violence and abuse of Kurdish forces
- 2015-11-07 - The jihadist Islamic State release 37 other Assyrian hostages of the valley of Khabur
- 2015-10-28 - Russian delegation meets representatives of Churches and religious communities
- 2015-10-27 - Father Murad speaks of his captivity
- 2015-10-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – A shell hits Latin Church in Aleppo during the celebration of Mass. Bishop Abou Khazen: it could have been a massacre
- 2015-10-26 - violence and human rights: lessons in peace building in war zones.
- 2015-10-23 - Christians in Hassakè denounce attempts to expropriate properties of emigrants
- 2015-10-20 - Offensive in Aleppo. Archbishop Marayati: we pay the price of the 'Holy Wars' carried out by others