ASIA/SYRIA - Bishop Vera López’ humanitarian mission
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Mexican Bishop Raul Vera Lopez OP will be part of a delegation of 12 observers who in the first half of June will try to enter Syria to collect data and information on the atrocities and human rights violations taking place in the Country torn by the civil war. According to information attributed to the Diocese of Saltillo, Mgr. Lopez’ mission in Syria will take place after the spiritual retreat that the bishop is preaching to the Dominican community in Puerto Rico.
The Dominican Raul Vera Lopez was coadjutor bishop of San Cristobal de Las Casas in the years when the Archdiocese of Chiapas was ruled by Bishop Samuel Ruiz Garcia. In 2000 Vera López became bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, in northeastern Mexico. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize in 2012 for his commitment to the defense of human rights. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/05/2013).
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"
- 2015-03-18 - Millions of children deprived of education: schools destroyed or used as shelters for the displaced
- 2015-03-16 - The US "open" up to talks with Assad. Archbishop Hindo: forced choice
- 2015-03-14 - The Jubilee seen from Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: only mercy can save us from hatred and heal wounds
- 2015-03-11 - Uncertainty about the fate of Christians held hostage by jihadists
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide