ASIA/SYRIA - Bishop Vera López’ humanitarian mission
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - The Mexican Bishop Raul Vera Lopez OP will be part of a delegation of 12 observers who in the first half of June will try to enter Syria to collect data and information on the atrocities and human rights violations taking place in the Country torn by the civil war. According to information attributed to the Diocese of Saltillo, Mgr. Lopez’ mission in Syria will take place after the spiritual retreat that the bishop is preaching to the Dominican community in Puerto Rico.
The Dominican Raul Vera Lopez was coadjutor bishop of San Cristobal de Las Casas in the years when the Archdiocese of Chiapas was ruled by Bishop Samuel Ruiz Garcia. In 2000 Vera López became bishop of the Diocese of Saltillo, in northeastern Mexico. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize in 2012 for his commitment to the defense of human rights. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/05/2013).
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula
- 2014-04-14 - The government army regains control of the city of Maalula
- 2014-04-08 - "Difficult times will come". After the assassination of Father Van der Lugt, Christians continue to pray and reflect on martyrdom
- 2014-04-07 - A Jesuit Killed in Homs
- 2014-03-28 - Missile on an Armenian church in Aleppo during Mass
- 2014-03-25 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch: the Christians who fled from Kessab have to deal with the emergency with a spirit of communion
- 2014-03-17 - Bishop Audo: war devastates the hearts; and the work of Caritas opens new fronts
- 2014-03-14 - Archbishop Nassar: signs of hope in our Lent spent in war
- 2014-03-12 - ASIA/SYRIA – In Aleppo, the Order of Malta inaugurates three new mobile clinics for refugees