AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Peace talks: First agreement on equitable distribution of land
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - "The Colombian bishops believe that the land issue is central to building true peace. Indeed, the Church's social doctrine stresses the need for an equitable distribution of land and policies that contribute to the overall development, both social and economic in rural areas," says the message presented on May 27, by Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia (CEC), who expressed the satisfaction on behalf of the Church with regards to the agreement on the agrarian question which was concluded during the peace talks between the government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC). "We hope that the agreement reached, becomes the effective implementation of a policy of agricultural development that is able to safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of peasant families."
The Cardinal added that he hoped that the delegates of the government and the FARC "are able, through transparent dialogue that seeks the common good, to continue the challenging task of determining the basis for the end of the armed conflict." The Cardinal hopes that special support to the victims of the civil war can finally be offered.
Although members of the ecclesiastical hierarchy are not present in the peace talks in Cuba (see Fides 14/02/2013) the Church is involved because, as stated by the Bishops: "We all need to support and protect peace efforts" (see Fides 25/02/2013) that have been taking place in the Cuban capital since last year (see Fides 20/11/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/05/2013)
- 2013-11-26 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - FARC "authorize" the opening of churches in the south of the country, but only on Sundays
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Violence and Conflicts: Women suffer the most
- 2013-11-18 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Two children a day are abandoned in the capital of the Country
- 2013-11-08 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A second agreement has been reached, the Church proposes "a policy of reconciliation for definitive peace"
- 2013-10-30 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Social Inclusion, always together with building social peace
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The popular referendum on peace agreements with the FARC is almost ready
- 2013-10-24 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Towards the Symposium on Theology India: the Church more present in different cultures
- 2013-10-22 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Terrorism alarm in Tumaco: commission lead by the Bishop seeks dialogue with the FARC
- 2013-10-10 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A Foundation in favor of children victims of sexual abuse
- 2013-10-10 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Priests "expelled" by the guerrillas, the complaint of the Bishop