ASIA/HOLY LAND - The Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem: the Palestinian problem is the focus of all conflict in the Middle East for the last one hundred years
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - "There is no doubt that the Palestinian problem is the focus of all conflict in the Middle East for the last one hundred years. This is the truth that we cannot circumvent". This is what the Patriarch of Jerusalem Fouad Twal said in his speech at the Conference being held in Beirut (21-25 May) with regards to the presence and witness of Christians in the Middle East, on the initiative of the World Council of Churches (WCC). According to the Patriarch, unless the international community, the nations in the region and the interested parties act truthfully and wiyh goodwill to bring about peace, "this conflict will continue to feed aggression, oppression, deceit, double standards and occupation."
According to the report released by the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem and sent to Fides Agency, His Beatitude Twal referred to the historical phase of the so-called "Arab Spring" as a time when the Middle East entered "a dangerous and bloody vortex." "We, children of the Holy Land," said the Patriarch of Jerusalem of the Latins "understand too well the meaning of words such as displacement, expulsion, murder, injustice, evacuation and exile." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/05/2013).
- 2015-11-21 - Caritas Jerusalem: "collective punishment" of the Palestinians must cease
- 2015-11-16 - The Catholic Bishops: fight terrorism without "duplicity"
- 2015-11-05 - The Catholic Bishops: more confessors in the Shrines for the Holy Year of Mercy
- 2015-10-30 - Pilgrims visit Holy Land, despite the violence
- 2015-10-21 - Olive harvest has begun in Gethsemane
- 2015-10-20 - Violence in Jerusalem, the Christian Youth of Palestine announces a prayer vigil for peace
- 2015-10-19 - Patriarch Twal: the "wall of Jerusalem" disfigures the face of the Holy City
- 2015-10-16 - Caritas Jerusalem: pilgrimages cancelled due to the blocks in the neighborhoods of the Holy City
- 2015-10-15 - Religious leaders and Shimon Peres against sectarian violence
- 2015-10-14 - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the block of East Jerusalem feeds anger and feelings of revenge