ASIA/HOLY LAND - The Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem: the Palestinian problem is the focus of all conflict in the Middle East for the last one hundred years
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - "There is no doubt that the Palestinian problem is the focus of all conflict in the Middle East for the last one hundred years. This is the truth that we cannot circumvent". This is what the Patriarch of Jerusalem Fouad Twal said in his speech at the Conference being held in Beirut (21-25 May) with regards to the presence and witness of Christians in the Middle East, on the initiative of the World Council of Churches (WCC). According to the Patriarch, unless the international community, the nations in the region and the interested parties act truthfully and wiyh goodwill to bring about peace, "this conflict will continue to feed aggression, oppression, deceit, double standards and occupation."
According to the report released by the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem and sent to Fides Agency, His Beatitude Twal referred to the historical phase of the so-called "Arab Spring" as a time when the Middle East entered "a dangerous and bloody vortex." "We, children of the Holy Land," said the Patriarch of Jerusalem of the Latins "understand too well the meaning of words such as displacement, expulsion, murder, injustice, evacuation and exile." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/05/2013).
- 2014-08-30 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Catholic schools cancel strike, but Israeli government talks of ‘take over’
- 2014-08-06 - In Gaza a child dies every hour. There is no electricity, water and essential medical services
- 2014-08-06 - Appeal of the Patriarch of Jerusalem to Aid to the Church in Need for the victims of Gaza
- 2014-08-01 - The Patriarch of Jerusalem, Twal: the truce is not needed if Gaza remains a desperate prison
- 2014-08-01 - Prayers and fasting for peace in Gaza and throughout the Middle East
- 2014-08-01 - The Forgiveness of Assisi dedicated to peace in the Middle East
- 2014-07-29 - Bombing near the Catholic parish in Gaza. School devastated
- 2014-07-24 - Caritas Jerusalem rescues thousands of Muslims, who have taken shelter in schools and churches in Gaza
- 2014-07-22 - Patriarch Emeritus Sabbah: there is no war in Gaza, but a useless massacre
- 2014-07-18 - The Israeli army enters Gaza. Pope's message to the local Catholic community