AFRICA/NIGER - Fear of further outbreaks of cholera in refugee camps
Niamey (Agenzia Fides) - In Niger, a cholera epidemic has affected 248 people in Ayorou, in the northwestern region of Tillabéry. According to the health offices of Tillabéry and the United Nations Agency for Refugees (UNHCR), six deaths have been recorded so far, two of them are refugees from Mali. Among the 31 infected are refugees living in camps in Tabareybarey and Mangaize, bordering Mali. To try to contain the phenomenon, the UNHCR has increased the distribution of drinking water, oral rehydration solutions, soap and disinfectant tablets in refugee camps and surrounding villages, but many drugs are urgently needed. The fear is that cholera can spread rapidly due to the high concentration of refugees in the region. Most of the cases concern the inhabitants of the city of Ayorou, which on Sunday hosts a cattle market frequented by people from all over the region. The Ministry of Health is trying to temporarily close this market, which is right next to the River Niger, suspected source of contamination. It is also prohibited to use, or drink river water, although it is very difficult to keep the situation under control. According to data released by the UNHCR, 5,785 people were infected in the country last year, 110 of whom died. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2013)
- 2014-11-21 - Malaria: preventive treatment to 735 000 children
- 2014-10-02 - The Bishops' message to the Muslim community: "May the example of Abraham bear fruits of mutual respect"
- 2014-07-18 - New French military mission for the Sahel, but not everyone agrees
- 2014-04-30 - Bishops alarm: "The political situation is serious; the democratic climate is deteriorating day by day"
- 2014-04-25 - Malaria: Each year more than a million people die, mostly in Africa
- 2013-10-09 - 79,087 cases and 362 children under 5 years of age have died from severe acute malnutrition
- 2013-09-05 - Prevention against malaria for more than 180,000 children
- 2013-08-08 - AFRICA/NIGER – To safeguard Creation at the center of the Bishops’ message for the end of Ramadan
- 2013-06-20 - "Refugees are the invisible of our time", says a missionary
- 2013-06-13 - Gunfight in Niamey, maybe it was a false alarm