ASIA/SYRIA - The Syriac Orthodox Metropolitan Roham: the people suffer even when there is no fighting
Monaco (Agenzia Fides) - The suburban areas of northern Syria "are mostly controlled by various insurgent groups." The military government has abandoned the rural areas to concentrate its presence on the city of Hassaké and Kamishly. "But the people in these two cities have a great fear that fighting could start at any moment. In that case, a large number of children, girls, women and old people will cross the border with Turkey." This is how Eustathius Matta Roham, Syriac Orthodox Metropolitan of Jazirah and Euphrates, describes the situation experienced by Syrian populations in the north-east governorate of Hassaké, bordering Turkey and Iraq. In a report sent to Fides Agency, the Syriac Orthodox Metropolitan confirms that churches and all Christian symbols have been destroyed in the city of Ras al-Ayn, and he reports that the military conflict in the area has reached a deadlock, but the whole population is suffering due to the collapse of economic activities and the lack of primary goods. "The systematic practice of kidnapping continues," says S. E. Roham "and there is a permanent flow of people fleeing to Turkey."
On Saturday, May 18 Metropolitan Roham met representatives of charitable organizations in Monaco of Bavaria to assess their Christian relief programs in favor of the Syrian people. The meeting is part of a mission to Europe that S. E. Roham is carrying out on behalf of Syriac Orthodox Patriarch Ignatius Zakka I Iwas, also to ascertain the condition in which Syrian refugees who have reached Greece live.
Earlier, during his European Union "mission", the Syriac Orthodox Metropolitan had already met with officials of the charitable organizations Misereor, Missio and Aid to the Church in Need, and also Cardinal Christoph Schönborn. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 23/05/2013).
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus