AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
Merida (Agenzia Fides) - Every year child labor in the Mexican state of Yucatan increases. In the streets of Merida, Progreso, Umán Kanasin there are children who beg, wash windows, sell sweets, chewing gum, chocolate... Others sell flowers, fruit, juices, different kinds of foods, newspapers, cigarettes, shoes, clothes, crafts, bags and accessories, many are street cleaners. They are often forced to work even at night and exposed to multiple dangers, but they have to worry about bringing money home because otherwise they will be punished. According to the Human Rights Commission of Yucatan and the Regulator Observatory of Girls, boys and Adolescents Rights, since 2013, 455 children in the Mexican State between 12, 14, 15 and 16 years of age work from 3 to 5 hours a day in the four municipalities of the State. Of these, 324 are males and 131 females. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"