AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
Merida (Agenzia Fides) - Every year child labor in the Mexican state of Yucatan increases. In the streets of Merida, Progreso, Umán Kanasin there are children who beg, wash windows, sell sweets, chewing gum, chocolate... Others sell flowers, fruit, juices, different kinds of foods, newspapers, cigarettes, shoes, clothes, crafts, bags and accessories, many are street cleaners. They are often forced to work even at night and exposed to multiple dangers, but they have to worry about bringing money home because otherwise they will be punished. According to the Human Rights Commission of Yucatan and the Regulator Observatory of Girls, boys and Adolescents Rights, since 2013, 455 children in the Mexican State between 12, 14, 15 and 16 years of age work from 3 to 5 hours a day in the four municipalities of the State. Of these, 324 are males and 131 females. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/05/2013)
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus