AFRICA/SUDAN - 25 victims in the umpteenth bombing in the Nuba Mountains
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - A new massive bombing on a village in the Nuba Mountains, by the Sudanese Air Force, caused 25 victims and 8 wounded. This was reported by the Sudan Catholic Radio Network, according to which in the morning of May 15, Sudanese planes dropped 13 bombs on the village of Kawalib. In addition to deaths and the wounded, the bombing resulted in the destruction of twenty homes and the loss of cattle.
On the same day another bombing was carried out on the villages of Kauda and Kumo, causing the death of a person.
The inhabitants of the area say that the bombing of the Sudanese Antonov (which are actually converted into rudimentary transport aircraft bombers) take place on a regular basis and launch an appeal to the international community to intervene to protect civilians.
The Nuba Mountains are part of South Kordofan, where a war has been going on for a long time between the government in Khartoum and the SPLA-North (Sudan People's Liberation Army-North). Fides Agency has repeatedly launched His Exc. Mgr. Macram Max Gassis' appeals, Bishop of El Obeid, to stop this forgotten war (see Fides 29/11/2012). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2013)
- 2014-11-12 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Alarm: haemorrhagic fever in Southern Kordofan
- 2014-10-01 - Epidemics and food shortages in refugee camps in Kass, South Darfur
- 2014-09-24 - Severe floods are affecting tens of thousands of new refugees in Darfur
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Appeal for embargo on arms entering South Sudan, grave humanitarian crisis impending
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum
- 2014-07-09 - Torrential rains worsen the living conditions of hundreds of thousands of displaced persons
- 2014-07-02 - Humanitarian crisis and lack of investment in social sectors affect 70% of children
- 2014-06-25 - Over 4,500 homeless children in the capital of South Darfur
- 2014-06-02 - "The condemnation of Mariam Yehya Ibrahim is a direct persecution of Christians " say the Sudanese Christian Churches