AFRICA/SUDAN - 25 victims in the umpteenth bombing in the Nuba Mountains
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - A new massive bombing on a village in the Nuba Mountains, by the Sudanese Air Force, caused 25 victims and 8 wounded. This was reported by the Sudan Catholic Radio Network, according to which in the morning of May 15, Sudanese planes dropped 13 bombs on the village of Kawalib. In addition to deaths and the wounded, the bombing resulted in the destruction of twenty homes and the loss of cattle.
On the same day another bombing was carried out on the villages of Kauda and Kumo, causing the death of a person.
The inhabitants of the area say that the bombing of the Sudanese Antonov (which are actually converted into rudimentary transport aircraft bombers) take place on a regular basis and launch an appeal to the international community to intervene to protect civilians.
The Nuba Mountains are part of South Kordofan, where a war has been going on for a long time between the government in Khartoum and the SPLA-North (Sudan People's Liberation Army-North). Fides Agency has repeatedly launched His Exc. Mgr. Macram Max Gassis' appeals, Bishop of El Obeid, to stop this forgotten war (see Fides 29/11/2012). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2013)
- 2015-04-22 - Outbreak of measles in Darfur: cases continue to multiply
- 2015-04-15 - 70 thousand bags of Carcinogenic Sugar distributed in South Darfur
- 2015-04-13 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Elections contested by the opposition begin, while tension increases with South Sudan
- 2015-02-25 - The number of homeless children, 700 000 live on the streets of the capital
- 2015-02-12 - Hunger and diseases for the displaced persons in Darfur: food, medicines and basic necessities are needed
- 2015-01-30 - Humanitarian aid denied in conflict areas: MSF forced to close activities
- 2015-01-14 - Hunger and cold temperatures continue to cause deaths in North Darfur
- 2014-12-17 - Twenty new radio stations in Darfur and South Kordofan
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Police raid Evangelical church in Khartoum
- 2014-11-12 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Alarm: haemorrhagic fever in Southern Kordofan