AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - More than 1 million 200 thousand Mexican mothers of peasant origins have become heads of families following the immigration of their husbands and older sons who have left their homes in search of job opportunities in the cities. Women therefore are exploited in factories and deprived of their fundamental rights. According to the National Peasant Confederation (CNC), about 13 million women living in rural communities are the most affected by unemployment, poverty and rising prices. Of these, only 610,000 are recognized land rights. In fact, the female population accounts for only 14.2% of the nearly 3.5 million holders of agrarian rights in Mexico. The CNC also stated that in rural areas 37.7% of women up to 24 years of age suffer from food poverty; those between 25 and 44 years of age, are 34.8%; between 45 to 64, 31.1%, and from 65 onwards, are 32.2%. According to estimates by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), a Mexican mother who lives in rural areas works 53% more than men and four hours more than those living in urban areas. Nevertheless, their salaries are minimal and insufficient because of the recent price increases - up to 400% compared to 2012 with regards to basic necessities such as eggs, tomatoes, peppers. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2013)
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"