AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - More than 1 million 200 thousand Mexican mothers of peasant origins have become heads of families following the immigration of their husbands and older sons who have left their homes in search of job opportunities in the cities. Women therefore are exploited in factories and deprived of their fundamental rights. According to the National Peasant Confederation (CNC), about 13 million women living in rural communities are the most affected by unemployment, poverty and rising prices. Of these, only 610,000 are recognized land rights. In fact, the female population accounts for only 14.2% of the nearly 3.5 million holders of agrarian rights in Mexico. The CNC also stated that in rural areas 37.7% of women up to 24 years of age suffer from food poverty; those between 25 and 44 years of age, are 34.8%; between 45 to 64, 31.1%, and from 65 onwards, are 32.2%. According to estimates by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), a Mexican mother who lives in rural areas works 53% more than men and four hours more than those living in urban areas. Nevertheless, their salaries are minimal and insufficient because of the recent price increases - up to 400% compared to 2012 with regards to basic necessities such as eggs, tomatoes, peppers. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2013)
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States