AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - More than 1 million 200 thousand Mexican mothers of peasant origins have become heads of families following the immigration of their husbands and older sons who have left their homes in search of job opportunities in the cities. Women therefore are exploited in factories and deprived of their fundamental rights. According to the National Peasant Confederation (CNC), about 13 million women living in rural communities are the most affected by unemployment, poverty and rising prices. Of these, only 610,000 are recognized land rights. In fact, the female population accounts for only 14.2% of the nearly 3.5 million holders of agrarian rights in Mexico. The CNC also stated that in rural areas 37.7% of women up to 24 years of age suffer from food poverty; those between 25 and 44 years of age, are 34.8%; between 45 to 64, 31.1%, and from 65 onwards, are 32.2%. According to estimates by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), a Mexican mother who lives in rural areas works 53% more than men and four hours more than those living in urban areas. Nevertheless, their salaries are minimal and insufficient because of the recent price increases - up to 400% compared to 2012 with regards to basic necessities such as eggs, tomatoes, peppers. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/05/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"