AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Even indigenous groups celebrated the first holy Colombian
Tibú (Agenzia Fides) - "There are too many villains that have entered the collective memory of the Colombians. The canonization of Sister Laura reminds the Country that there are other people who are full of virtue, generosity and service," said Mgr. Omar Alberto Sánchez Cubillos, O.P., bishop of the Diocese of Tibú (Colombia) at the end of the celebration in the cathedral to celebrate Mother Laura, the new Colombian saint (see Fides 11/05/2013).
"This ecclesiastical jurisdiction – says the note sent to Fides - is also the protagonist of this great event of the Catholic Church, because it has seen the presence and missionary work of the "Lauritas" in the indigenous community Motilón Bari, for 50 years."
The Motilón Bari are an ethnic group in Colombia and Venezuela, with an estimated population of about 4000 people almost ignored by the authorities. In fact, the area of Tibú is at the border between Colombia and Venezuela where security is precarious because of the presence of the guerrillas of the FARC and other paramilitary groups.
During the ceremony, a nun, author of a biography of Sister Laura, described the life and work of the first holy Colombian. The offerings were made by indigenous women of different ethnic groups of Catalaura and Karicachaboquira. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation
- 2015-09-11 - Week of Peace: Colombians want a date for talks with the ELN
- 2015-09-07 - The Bishop of Cucuta marches in defense of the rights of Colombians
- 2015-09-03 - Meeting of the Bishops of Colombia and Venezuela on the border area crisis
- 2015-09-03 - Dengue haemorrhagic fever affects children in Huila
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC