AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Even indigenous groups celebrated the first holy Colombian
Tibú (Agenzia Fides) - "There are too many villains that have entered the collective memory of the Colombians. The canonization of Sister Laura reminds the Country that there are other people who are full of virtue, generosity and service," said Mgr. Omar Alberto Sánchez Cubillos, O.P., bishop of the Diocese of Tibú (Colombia) at the end of the celebration in the cathedral to celebrate Mother Laura, the new Colombian saint (see Fides 11/05/2013).
"This ecclesiastical jurisdiction – says the note sent to Fides - is also the protagonist of this great event of the Catholic Church, because it has seen the presence and missionary work of the "Lauritas" in the indigenous community Motilón Bari, for 50 years."
The Motilón Bari are an ethnic group in Colombia and Venezuela, with an estimated population of about 4000 people almost ignored by the authorities. In fact, the area of Tibú is at the border between Colombia and Venezuela where security is precarious because of the presence of the guerrillas of the FARC and other paramilitary groups.
During the ceremony, a nun, author of a biography of Sister Laura, described the life and work of the first holy Colombian. The offerings were made by indigenous women of different ethnic groups of Catalaura and Karicachaboquira. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2013)
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez