AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Even indigenous groups celebrated the first holy Colombian
Tibú (Agenzia Fides) - "There are too many villains that have entered the collective memory of the Colombians. The canonization of Sister Laura reminds the Country that there are other people who are full of virtue, generosity and service," said Mgr. Omar Alberto Sánchez Cubillos, O.P., bishop of the Diocese of Tibú (Colombia) at the end of the celebration in the cathedral to celebrate Mother Laura, the new Colombian saint (see Fides 11/05/2013).
"This ecclesiastical jurisdiction – says the note sent to Fides - is also the protagonist of this great event of the Catholic Church, because it has seen the presence and missionary work of the "Lauritas" in the indigenous community Motilón Bari, for 50 years."
The Motilón Bari are an ethnic group in Colombia and Venezuela, with an estimated population of about 4000 people almost ignored by the authorities. In fact, the area of Tibú is at the border between Colombia and Venezuela where security is precarious because of the presence of the guerrillas of the FARC and other paramilitary groups.
During the ceremony, a nun, author of a biography of Sister Laura, described the life and work of the first holy Colombian. The offerings were made by indigenous women of different ethnic groups of Catalaura and Karicachaboquira. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2013)
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue