AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Even indigenous groups celebrated the first holy Colombian
Tibú (Agenzia Fides) - "There are too many villains that have entered the collective memory of the Colombians. The canonization of Sister Laura reminds the Country that there are other people who are full of virtue, generosity and service," said Mgr. Omar Alberto Sánchez Cubillos, O.P., bishop of the Diocese of Tibú (Colombia) at the end of the celebration in the cathedral to celebrate Mother Laura, the new Colombian saint (see Fides 11/05/2013).
"This ecclesiastical jurisdiction – says the note sent to Fides - is also the protagonist of this great event of the Catholic Church, because it has seen the presence and missionary work of the "Lauritas" in the indigenous community Motilón Bari, for 50 years."
The Motilón Bari are an ethnic group in Colombia and Venezuela, with an estimated population of about 4000 people almost ignored by the authorities. In fact, the area of Tibú is at the border between Colombia and Venezuela where security is precarious because of the presence of the guerrillas of the FARC and other paramilitary groups.
During the ceremony, a nun, author of a biography of Sister Laura, described the life and work of the first holy Colombian. The offerings were made by indigenous women of different ethnic groups of Catalaura and Karicachaboquira. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/05/2013)
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”
- 2015-02-10 - The proposal of the FARC divides public opinion
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices