AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
Chilpancingo (Agenzia Fides) - There are more than 220 schools which have been closed for 2 months in the area of Chilpancingo (south of Mexico City) for the indefinite teachers’ strike who ask for a fair salary.
Mgr. Alejo Zavala Castro, Bishop of Chilpancingo-Chilapa, has launched an appeal for dialogue and reconciliation. The bishop spoke out against the violence in the demonstrations organized by the teachers, as against the provisions made by the authorities without consultation with those directly affected.
"We have always said that we are prepared to intervene to facilitate reconciliation because we are involved with everything that has to do with order, discipline and life in the community," said Mgr. Zavala Castro in the note sent to Fides.
Mgr. Zavala Castro finally stressed that the Church does not agree with the decisions that are taken by the power that sometimes cause damage to the weakest. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/05/2013)
AMERICA/MEXICO – BISHOP’S APPEAL FOR DIALOGUE IN ORDER TO RESOLVE THE TEACHERS’ STRIKE
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children