AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
Chilpancingo (Agenzia Fides) - There are more than 220 schools which have been closed for 2 months in the area of Chilpancingo (south of Mexico City) for the indefinite teachers’ strike who ask for a fair salary.
Mgr. Alejo Zavala Castro, Bishop of Chilpancingo-Chilapa, has launched an appeal for dialogue and reconciliation. The bishop spoke out against the violence in the demonstrations organized by the teachers, as against the provisions made by the authorities without consultation with those directly affected.
"We have always said that we are prepared to intervene to facilitate reconciliation because we are involved with everything that has to do with order, discipline and life in the community," said Mgr. Zavala Castro in the note sent to Fides.
Mgr. Zavala Castro finally stressed that the Church does not agree with the decisions that are taken by the power that sometimes cause damage to the weakest. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/05/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration