AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
Chilpancingo (Agenzia Fides) - There are more than 220 schools which have been closed for 2 months in the area of Chilpancingo (south of Mexico City) for the indefinite teachers’ strike who ask for a fair salary.
Mgr. Alejo Zavala Castro, Bishop of Chilpancingo-Chilapa, has launched an appeal for dialogue and reconciliation. The bishop spoke out against the violence in the demonstrations organized by the teachers, as against the provisions made by the authorities without consultation with those directly affected.
"We have always said that we are prepared to intervene to facilitate reconciliation because we are involved with everything that has to do with order, discipline and life in the community," said Mgr. Zavala Castro in the note sent to Fides.
Mgr. Zavala Castro finally stressed that the Church does not agree with the decisions that are taken by the power that sometimes cause damage to the weakest. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/05/2013)
AMERICA/MEXICO – BISHOP’S APPEAL FOR DIALOGUE IN ORDER TO RESOLVE THE TEACHERS’ STRIKE
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend
- 2015-06-13 - A card to distinguish true priests from false priests
- 2015-06-11 - The Bishops invite the winners of the elections to fulfil the promises made
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination