AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
Chilpancingo (Agenzia Fides) - There are more than 220 schools which have been closed for 2 months in the area of Chilpancingo (south of Mexico City) for the indefinite teachers’ strike who ask for a fair salary.
Mgr. Alejo Zavala Castro, Bishop of Chilpancingo-Chilapa, has launched an appeal for dialogue and reconciliation. The bishop spoke out against the violence in the demonstrations organized by the teachers, as against the provisions made by the authorities without consultation with those directly affected.
"We have always said that we are prepared to intervene to facilitate reconciliation because we are involved with everything that has to do with order, discipline and life in the community," said Mgr. Zavala Castro in the note sent to Fides.
Mgr. Zavala Castro finally stressed that the Church does not agree with the decisions that are taken by the power that sometimes cause damage to the weakest. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/05/2013)
AMERICA/MEXICO – BISHOP’S APPEAL FOR DIALOGUE IN ORDER TO RESOLVE THE TEACHERS’ STRIKE
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction