ASIA/SYRIA - Water emergency for 90 disabled Muslims rescued by Christians
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - Ninety disabled people forced to flee the aleppino neighborhood of Cheikh Maksoud - an area conquered in recent weeks by the anti-Assad militias - received hospitality in a hostel owned by the Apostolic Vicariate of Aleppo, but now their condition is put at risk by the lack of water which has become chronic in the metropolis ravaged by the civil war. "The disabled, all Muslims" reports from Aleppo to Fides Agency Fr. David Fernandez, a Catholic missionary of the Institute of the Incarnate Word "had to flee from the house that hosted them, as almost all the inhabitants of the district of Cheikh Maksoud did.
They were looking for a place to find refuge, and the Apostolic Vicariate made available a student residence at the moment uninhabited. But now there is no water, heat increase and those poor disabled find themselves in serious trouble. Many of them are sick."
In addition to disabled refugees in the student residence, other elderly and infirm, under the same conditions, are cared for by the Sisters of Mother Teresa. "In the tragedy of war," comments father Fernandez "gestures of charity appear as a gift even brighter and moving." The missionary confirms to Fides that last week several missiles and mortar shells were fired from the anti-regime militias on the district of Sulaymaniyah, inhabited by many Christians. The goal of the attacks was a government army garrison, but many shots fell on houses. The headquarters of the Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan was also damaged where Mar Gregorios Yohanna Ibrahim usually resides, one of the two bishops of Aleppo (the other is the Greek-Orthodox Metropolitan Boulos al-Yazigi) in the hands of unknown kidnappers for almost 3 weeks. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2013)
- 2014-07-24 - Thousands of children excluded from the vaccination campaign against polio which has resurfaced in the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The government army towards Aleppo. Bishop Audo: we are on edge between hopes and fears, we also lack drinking water
- 2014-06-17 - Aleppo still without water, churches reactivate the wells
- 2014-06-05 - Aleppo again without water, other missiles on the areas inhabited by the Armenians
- 2014-06-02 - ASIA/SYRIA – The jiahdists of ISIL in Raqqa confiscate the property of Christians
- 2014-05-19 - Armenian Catholic Archbishop Marayati: Christians flee from Aleppo, besieged city
- 2014-05-02 - Even a Christian tries to candidate himself in the presidential election in June
- 2014-04-28 - Armenian Catholic Archbishop Marayati: Aleppo again in the grip of war
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula