ASIA/SYRIA - International day of prayer for peace
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - Saturday, May 11 the Syrian Christians of all Churches and ecclesial communities have organized a day of prayer to "pray God to grant mercy to Syria and to put an end to the violence." The appeal to pray for Syria, entitled "The prayer of a broken heart", has been extended to Christians throughout the world, causing extensive adhesions.
In Syria, 12 Christian churches and confessions will take part in the day of prayer. "It is too risky to move in combat areas. We will have to limit ourselves to local meetings throughout the Country, in homes, in meeting places and in churches," is what is written in the text of the appeal publicized over the internet. There are 4 prayer intentions: the return of peace, the liberation of all hostages, the care of children traumatized by war, urgent request for humanitarian relief to all refugees.
"The people" refers father David Fernandez to the Agency from Aleppo, a priest of the Institute of the Incarnate Word "were looking forward to the month of May to ask Mary for the grace of peace. With refugees and those who manage to come every afternoon we celebrate Mass, we pray the Holy Rosary with this intention. Everyone is singing the litanies and the final hymn to the Virgin with great emotion. They ask Mary the gift of peace, addressing her as the one who can still help them keep hope alive in the terrible situation we are experiencing." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/05/2013).
- 2015-09-03 - A video and a letter from Father Jacques Murad, the prior of St. Elian kidnapped last May, has been released
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette
- 2015-08-05 - The "Water project" for Aleppo to provide water to the martyred Syrian city has concluded
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population