AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Another priest killed
Barranquilla (Agenzia Fides) - Another priest has been killed in Colombia. Father José Antonio Bayona Valle, 48 years old, a diocesan priest of the Archdiocese of Barranquilla (Colombia) was killed last night with 18 stab wounds. The priest was found on a path in the area of the village of Juan Mina.
The Archdiocese of Barranquilla reported to Fides that the priest was ordained on December 20, 1998 and served as pastor of the parish of Christ the King in the southwest of Barranquilla in the neighborhood called Lipaya. The Archdiocese stresses the violence carried out against the priest. The Catholic community is very saddened and the authorities are working to clarify this brutal murder.
In Colombia a priest was killed in 2012; in 2011 6 priests and 1 lay person were killed; in 2010 three priests and a religious were killed; in 2009 5 priests and 1 lay person died violently. In 2013, 4 Colombians priests have been killed so far. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza
- 2014-12-22 - Even from pain comes the hope of peace, the process continues
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours