AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Another priest killed
Barranquilla (Agenzia Fides) - Another priest has been killed in Colombia. Father José Antonio Bayona Valle, 48 years old, a diocesan priest of the Archdiocese of Barranquilla (Colombia) was killed last night with 18 stab wounds. The priest was found on a path in the area of the village of Juan Mina.
The Archdiocese of Barranquilla reported to Fides that the priest was ordained on December 20, 1998 and served as pastor of the parish of Christ the King in the southwest of Barranquilla in the neighborhood called Lipaya. The Archdiocese stresses the violence carried out against the priest. The Catholic community is very saddened and the authorities are working to clarify this brutal murder.
In Colombia a priest was killed in 2012; in 2011 6 priests and 1 lay person were killed; in 2010 three priests and a religious were killed; in 2009 5 priests and 1 lay person died violently. In 2013, 4 Colombians priests have been killed so far. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours
- 2014-11-26 - Sexual violence on women: a forgotten medical emergency
- 2014-11-26 - Peace talks in Cuba must continue
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"
- 2014-11-20 - Archbishop Monsalve Mejia: "The general kidnapped will soon be released"
- 2014-11-19 - Every hour two children are victims of sexual abuse
- 2014-11-18 - The Church condemns the abduction of the General and urges to continue peace talks
- 2014-11-17 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Peace talks have been suspended after general abducted
- 2014-11-13 - From victims of violence to the protagonists of peace
- 2014-11-12 - At least 19 countries around the world recruit child soldiers