AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Another priest killed
Barranquilla (Agenzia Fides) - Another priest has been killed in Colombia. Father José Antonio Bayona Valle, 48 years old, a diocesan priest of the Archdiocese of Barranquilla (Colombia) was killed last night with 18 stab wounds. The priest was found on a path in the area of the village of Juan Mina.
The Archdiocese of Barranquilla reported to Fides that the priest was ordained on December 20, 1998 and served as pastor of the parish of Christ the King in the southwest of Barranquilla in the neighborhood called Lipaya. The Archdiocese stresses the violence carried out against the priest. The Catholic community is very saddened and the authorities are working to clarify this brutal murder.
In Colombia a priest was killed in 2012; in 2011 6 priests and 1 lay person were killed; in 2010 three priests and a religious were killed; in 2009 5 priests and 1 lay person died violently. In 2013, 4 Colombians priests have been killed so far. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue
- 2015-03-23 - A priest killed after a violent attempted robbery