OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The social media revolution has arrived in Papua
Port Moresby (Agenzia Fides) - In order to go to school, look for a job, go shopping, go to church or participate in the prayer, the young people of Papua use Facebook: the social network, now widely spread among young people and students in urban areas, this is a sign that the "social media revolution" has fully occurred in Papua New Guinea, says to Fides Agency a note Fr. Giorgio Licini, head of the Office for Social Communications of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Papua. The note is distributed on the occasion of the "World Day for Social Communications 2013," on 12 May, and the Pope's message titled "Social Networks: the gates of truth and faith: new spaces of evangelization."
While reiterating that there is still a "digital gap" between city and countryside - in rural areas of the country connecting to the Internet is still very little present – explains Fr. Licini: "Facebook is very widespread and popular, it is growing, compared to traditional mass media (newspapers, radio, TV)," noting the added value "of the unique possibility of simultaneous and widespread interaction." It is a tool that is also used today to "support freedom and political change, promote and disseminate religious values and messages: countless dioceses, parishes, religious congregations, Christian youth groups have a Facebook page," he continues. "One can spread through social networks words of inspiration and encouragement; one can develop pages of catechesis, while sharing groups of the Bible are already many in Papua," he explains. In response to the Pope's message for World Day of Communications, the Catholic community in Papua considers social media as "places where we are called to witness to the Good News, as new spaces for evangelization." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2013)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2015-03-27 - "WeCare!" Foundation: support to vulnerable women and marginalized children and young people
- 2015-02-03 - The Bishops: "safe and humane conditions for refugees"
- 2015-01-19 - Bishops' Pastoral Plan: "Go and tell everyone"
- 2015-01-15 - Twenty years with Blessed Peter ToRot, an example for every Christian
- 2014-12-18 - The Bishop of Alotau’s appeal for the population
- 2014-10-03 - The President of Bishops: "Family in Melanesia is an intense network of relationships"
- 2014-07-01 - Political crisis: Bishops’ appeal for the common good
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Madang: "Church and State united against domestic violence"
- 2014-05-22 - Open Letter of the Bishops to politicians: "Let us protect life together for the common good"
- 2014-05-13 - A priest and a lay extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist have been killed