AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
San Cristóbal de Las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - "In these last days the persecution of migrants has intensified by organized crime in the area of Palenque" denounces His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas.
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel reads as reported by the pastor of Palenque, Father Alberto Rafael Gomez, according to whom "the kidnappings are committed in broad daylight, on the highway by criminal gangs who kidnap young immigrants, as happened at the station in Pakalná in Palenque on Sunday, April 28. Criminal gangs kidnapped several girls and boys, and no one knows exactly how many people they kidnapped."
The bishop, in a note sent to Fides, reported that on April 28, members of the Mexican Army, Navy and the state and federal police conducted a joint operation immediately and were able to save some girls. Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel also added that the majority of immigrants are forced to pay the criminals $ 100 only to be able to get on the train without documents. The immigrants pay knowing that they are not guaranteed by the robberies and kidnappings committed by other criminal groups during their journey.
The bishop finally stressed that the Mexican government should try "to prevent such abuses against immigrants, not only against those who manage to get on the train, but also in defense of those who live among us every day, and are also victims of criminal groups. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2013)
- 2013-12-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - Caravan of mothers: "The Church condemns all forms of violence against anyone, including immigrants", says the Bishop of Cordoba
- 2013-12-09 AMERICA/MEXICO - Evening Mass restarts, the communities want to prepare themselves for upcoming feasts
- 2013-12-07 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The Church is not afraid of threats", says the Bishop of Toluca
- 2013-12-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - "They left alive, we want them back alive": solidarity for the Caravan of Central American mothers
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Violence against women is a social challenge", says Bishop Sanchez
- 2013-11-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Archbishop of Morelia calls on the population: "take shelter... there is violence in the street"
- 2013-11-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Evangelization in a context of violence" at the center of the reflection of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2013-11-11 AMERICA/MEXICO - Three commitments on behalf of the authorities for migrants, after the intervention of Mgr. Vera López
- 2013-11-06 AMERICA/MEXICO – Historic event: a Bishop at the Congress of Coahuila opens a dialogue for the rights of migrants
- 2013-11-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination