AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
San Cristóbal de Las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - "In these last days the persecution of migrants has intensified by organized crime in the area of Palenque" denounces His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas.
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel reads as reported by the pastor of Palenque, Father Alberto Rafael Gomez, according to whom "the kidnappings are committed in broad daylight, on the highway by criminal gangs who kidnap young immigrants, as happened at the station in Pakalná in Palenque on Sunday, April 28. Criminal gangs kidnapped several girls and boys, and no one knows exactly how many people they kidnapped."
The bishop, in a note sent to Fides, reported that on April 28, members of the Mexican Army, Navy and the state and federal police conducted a joint operation immediately and were able to save some girls. Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel also added that the majority of immigrants are forced to pay the criminals $ 100 only to be able to get on the train without documents. The immigrants pay knowing that they are not guaranteed by the robberies and kidnappings committed by other criminal groups during their journey.
The bishop finally stressed that the Mexican government should try "to prevent such abuses against immigrants, not only against those who manage to get on the train, but also in defense of those who live among us every day, and are also victims of criminal groups. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
- 2014-03-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - Five thousand people with the Bishop to march for peace and the family
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/MEXICO - “We must be all involved to stop the violence” says the Bishop of Zacatecas
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prevention is not enough: Church, state and society must work together to combat human trafficking
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Society based on the family": opening of the Year of the Family in the Diocese of Orizaba
- 2014-02-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - Authorities have to talk less and be more effective in terms of safety
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The use of drugs cannot be fought with drugs", the Archdiocese against the bill