AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
San Cristóbal de Las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - "In these last days the persecution of migrants has intensified by organized crime in the area of Palenque" denounces His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas.
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel reads as reported by the pastor of Palenque, Father Alberto Rafael Gomez, according to whom "the kidnappings are committed in broad daylight, on the highway by criminal gangs who kidnap young immigrants, as happened at the station in Pakalná in Palenque on Sunday, April 28. Criminal gangs kidnapped several girls and boys, and no one knows exactly how many people they kidnapped."
The bishop, in a note sent to Fides, reported that on April 28, members of the Mexican Army, Navy and the state and federal police conducted a joint operation immediately and were able to save some girls. Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel also added that the majority of immigrants are forced to pay the criminals $ 100 only to be able to get on the train without documents. The immigrants pay knowing that they are not guaranteed by the robberies and kidnappings committed by other criminal groups during their journey.
The bishop finally stressed that the Mexican government should try "to prevent such abuses against immigrants, not only against those who manage to get on the train, but also in defense of those who live among us every day, and are also victims of criminal groups. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement