AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
San Cristóbal de Las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - "In these last days the persecution of migrants has intensified by organized crime in the area of Palenque" denounces His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas.
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel reads as reported by the pastor of Palenque, Father Alberto Rafael Gomez, according to whom "the kidnappings are committed in broad daylight, on the highway by criminal gangs who kidnap young immigrants, as happened at the station in Pakalná in Palenque on Sunday, April 28. Criminal gangs kidnapped several girls and boys, and no one knows exactly how many people they kidnapped."
The bishop, in a note sent to Fides, reported that on April 28, members of the Mexican Army, Navy and the state and federal police conducted a joint operation immediately and were able to save some girls. Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel also added that the majority of immigrants are forced to pay the criminals $ 100 only to be able to get on the train without documents. The immigrants pay knowing that they are not guaranteed by the robberies and kidnappings committed by other criminal groups during their journey.
The bishop finally stressed that the Mexican government should try "to prevent such abuses against immigrants, not only against those who manage to get on the train, but also in defense of those who live among us every day, and are also victims of criminal groups. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2013)
- 2014-12-22 - The Apostolic Nuncio celebrates Mass for the families of the students who have disappeared from Ayotzinapa
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala