AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
San Cristóbal de Las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - "In these last days the persecution of migrants has intensified by organized crime in the area of Palenque" denounces His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, Bishop of San Cristóbal de Las Casas.
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel reads as reported by the pastor of Palenque, Father Alberto Rafael Gomez, according to whom "the kidnappings are committed in broad daylight, on the highway by criminal gangs who kidnap young immigrants, as happened at the station in Pakalná in Palenque on Sunday, April 28. Criminal gangs kidnapped several girls and boys, and no one knows exactly how many people they kidnapped."
The bishop, in a note sent to Fides, reported that on April 28, members of the Mexican Army, Navy and the state and federal police conducted a joint operation immediately and were able to save some girls. Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel also added that the majority of immigrants are forced to pay the criminals $ 100 only to be able to get on the train without documents. The immigrants pay knowing that they are not guaranteed by the robberies and kidnappings committed by other criminal groups during their journey.
The bishop finally stressed that the Mexican government should try "to prevent such abuses against immigrants, not only against those who manage to get on the train, but also in defense of those who live among us every day, and are also victims of criminal groups. " (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/05/2013)
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude