ASIA/SYRIA - The Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan Kawak: Turkey help us to free the kidnapped bishops
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "Turkey is important to resolve the situation of our two brother bishops of Aleppo kidnapped. The entire northern Syria is now somewhat under Turkish control, so it is important to talk with them. Every diplomatic and humanitarian initiative should point in that direction, also involving the Turkish leaders." This is what the Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan Jean Kawak, in charge of the patriarchal Office in Damascus told Fides Agency, about the kidnapping of the Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan Mar Gregorios Yohanna Ibrahim and the Greek-Orthodox Boulos al-Yazigi, in the hands of unknown kidnappers since April 22. The Metropolitan Kawak reported to Fides that "there is no news on the fate of the kidnapped and on the certain identity of the group of kidnappers. There are those who ensure that the two bishops are well and that Mar Gregorios has the medicines he needs every day. But they are voices that come from different sources in an indirect manner, and that it is impossible to verify. "Today, concludes the Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan, our Churches celebrate Good Friday, and the hearts of Christians is afflicted. All Christians pray that the two bishops are released in the coming days. It would be for all also this a sign of Resurrection, after the passion we are living." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2013).
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"