ASIA/SYRIA - The Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan Kawak: Turkey help us to free the kidnapped bishops
Damascus (Agenzia Fides) - "Turkey is important to resolve the situation of our two brother bishops of Aleppo kidnapped. The entire northern Syria is now somewhat under Turkish control, so it is important to talk with them. Every diplomatic and humanitarian initiative should point in that direction, also involving the Turkish leaders." This is what the Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan Jean Kawak, in charge of the patriarchal Office in Damascus told Fides Agency, about the kidnapping of the Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan Mar Gregorios Yohanna Ibrahim and the Greek-Orthodox Boulos al-Yazigi, in the hands of unknown kidnappers since April 22. The Metropolitan Kawak reported to Fides that "there is no news on the fate of the kidnapped and on the certain identity of the group of kidnappers. There are those who ensure that the two bishops are well and that Mar Gregorios has the medicines he needs every day. But they are voices that come from different sources in an indirect manner, and that it is impossible to verify. "Today, concludes the Syrian Orthodox Metropolitan, our Churches celebrate Good Friday, and the hearts of Christians is afflicted. All Christians pray that the two bishops are released in the coming days. It would be for all also this a sign of Resurrection, after the passion we are living." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2013).
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus