AMERICA/PARAGUAY - 70,000 confirmed cases of dengue
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - Paraguay is experiencing the worst dengue epidemic ever recorded in the country.
According to the data released by the Directorate of Health Supervision, of the more than 100,000 reported, 70,000 have been confirmed. Furthermore, the number of severe patients infected by the disease is 4 times higher compared to 2012.
However, the local health authorities have registered a slight decrease in cases, but urge citizens not to be complacent. The admission to hospital went from 1500 in April to 700 until now. In order to have a real and drastic reduction it is necessary that, in addition to the lowering of the temperature, everyone has to undertake, from citizens to authorities, proper management and timely collection of waste, and functional sewage systems. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2013)
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"
- 2014-11-07 - The Bishops in defense of indigenous people appeal to the InterAmerican Commission on Human Rights
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism