AFRICA/NIGERIA - The satellite images testify the heavy destruction in Baga
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - 2,275 buildings destroyed and 125 seriously damaged. This is the budget, of the military operation against a cell of Boko Haram carried out by soldiers of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) in Baga, a fishing village on the shores of Lake Chad, in Borno State in northeastern Nigeria. This was stated by a survey carried out by the humanitarian organization Human Rights Watch, based on satellite imagery, accusing the military of serious abuses against the civilian population.
The operation was carried out between 16 and 17 April when the military of the MJTF, a unit formed by soldiers from Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Cameroon, in charge of ensuring the safety of Lake Chad, were attacked by militants of Boko Haram. In the attack an officer lost his life. The reaction of the soldiers, according to residents was disproportionate: At least 185 people were killed, most of them civilians (see Fides 22/04/2013 and 25/04/2013). President Goodluck Jonathan said that according to official reports the victims confirmed are 36, but has promised further investigation to ascertain the facts. The military command finally claims that most of the damage to homes are the result of the explosion of the clandestine arsenal of the Boko Haram cell. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/05/2013)
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The latest massacre of civilians unfortunately does not surprise me" says the Archbishop of Jos to Fides
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "No imposition of secular values in Africa," said the Archbishop of Jos
- 2014-02-05 AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "military response alone does not solve anything", says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-01-28 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"