AMERICA/ECUADOR - The Church defends the Amazon environment, threatened by the interests of market
Pastaza (Agenzia Fides) - "The voracity of huge unscrupulous multinational corporations and governments threaten the natural environment of the Amazon": is what the bishop of Riobamba and president of the Episcopal Commission for the Social Pastoral, Mgr. Julio Parrilla denounced in a missionary meeting of the "Ecclesial Network Amazon", which was attended by representatives of the Church of 12 Latin American countries, at the Pastoral Center Intipungo in Puyo, Pastaza, in Ecuador.
As learned by Fides, the Bishop, talking about the results of the meeting, said: "Many people still think that there is an unlimited amount of energy and resources that can be used, and that the negative effects of the wild manipulation of nature can be easily absorbed. But this is totally false." Such attitudes, he continued, "are not rooted in science or technology, but in a technocratic ideology that serves the interests of the market." The Bishop concluded by reiterating "the influence of secularization, because when man turns away from God, he falls into the temptation of thinking that everything is permitted, in order to meet one’s immediate needs and desires."
The Network, which combines the Latin American Churches with presence in the Amazon, invites to overcome the preconceptions built around the Amazon and its inhabitants over the centuries.
It promotes knowledge of the Amazon reality, its people and the relationship with the environment, building and disseminating alternative proposals that give priority to life, the environment and communion among the churches. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/04/2013)
- 2014-03-14 - "Laity and religious freedom": the voice of the Church
- 2013-12-12 - "Adopt a project": people can redeem thanks to education
- 2013-11-15 - National Congress: Religious freedom and the public dimension of faith for the closing of the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-30 - Resignation of the Apostolic Vicar of Galapagos and appointment of successor
- 2013-10-14 - AMERICA/ECUADOR – Legalization of abortion, the President threatens to resign: the Church praises him
- 2013-09-16 - Commitment of the parish of Imantag for vulnerable people
- 2013-08-22 - Over 4 million working children engaged in high-risk activities
- 2013-08-09 - International Day of Indigenous Peoples: the demands of the indigenous of Ecuador
- 2013-08-02 - OCLACC Assembly: The Mission of communicators, promoting the spread of truth
- 2013-07-10 - Bishop Arellano launches the alarm concerning the new legislation on drug use, the country is divided