AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - A month after the conquest of Bangui rebels continue to vex the population
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - One month after the conquest, on March 24, of the capital of the Central African Republic, Bangui, by the rebels of the coalition Seleka, the situation is far from stabilized.
While in Bangui motorbike taxi and bus drivers went on strike to protest insecurity, extortion and violence of which they are often victims, from the rest of the territory there are reports of assaults and abuses against civilians.
The populations of the cities of Yaloké of Bayanga in the South, and Rafa in the south-east, say that the men of Seleka and poachers from Sudan commit looting and violence. They also reported several cases of kidnapping for purposes of extortion. The city of Bayanga has been abandoned by people fleeing in search of a refuge in the forest.
According to the Réseau des journalistes pour les Droits de l'homme en République Centrafricaine (RJDH-RCA), in the city of Ouango-Bangassou in the south-east, two belonging to Seleka were killed by a group of young people who were trying to defend the local Catholic Church as an attempt of ransacking. In the reprisals that followed a number of civilians were killed, while some houses were set on fire and the building of worship was ransacked. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2013)
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again