AMERICA/PERU - Education and sports activities for street children
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - This past September, the Ministry for Women and Vulnerable Populations approved a national program for the protection of children and adolescents who live abandoned in the streets. This is the Yachay Program, initially launched in the cities of Lima and Iquitos where there is the greatest number of cases of child exploitation and begging. This year the goal of Yachay is to assist more than 6,000 children and to make aware 3,000 families, involved in this issue, on the importance of schooling. Children will receive school material as well as technical and sports formation. The first is addressed to street teenagers between 14 to 18 years of age, while with sports formation one wants to stimulate the proper use of leisure time and motivate the participant to fight for his life project. Currently, 134 adolescents study in the technical formation centers nationwide and it is expected that this year they become 900. Yachay assists 3,528 children in 24 cities and 20 regions. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2013)
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas