AMERICA/PERU - Education and sports activities for street children
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - This past September, the Ministry for Women and Vulnerable Populations approved a national program for the protection of children and adolescents who live abandoned in the streets. This is the Yachay Program, initially launched in the cities of Lima and Iquitos where there is the greatest number of cases of child exploitation and begging. This year the goal of Yachay is to assist more than 6,000 children and to make aware 3,000 families, involved in this issue, on the importance of schooling. Children will receive school material as well as technical and sports formation. The first is addressed to street teenagers between 14 to 18 years of age, while with sports formation one wants to stimulate the proper use of leisure time and motivate the participant to fight for his life project. Currently, 134 adolescents study in the technical formation centers nationwide and it is expected that this year they become 900. Yachay assists 3,528 children in 24 cities and 20 regions. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2013)
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth