AMERICA/PERU - Education and sports activities for street children
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - This past September, the Ministry for Women and Vulnerable Populations approved a national program for the protection of children and adolescents who live abandoned in the streets. This is the Yachay Program, initially launched in the cities of Lima and Iquitos where there is the greatest number of cases of child exploitation and begging. This year the goal of Yachay is to assist more than 6,000 children and to make aware 3,000 families, involved in this issue, on the importance of schooling. Children will receive school material as well as technical and sports formation. The first is addressed to street teenagers between 14 to 18 years of age, while with sports formation one wants to stimulate the proper use of leisure time and motivate the participant to fight for his life project. Currently, 134 adolescents study in the technical formation centers nationwide and it is expected that this year they become 900. Yachay assists 3,528 children in 24 cities and 20 regions. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2013)
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps