AMERICA/PERU - Education and sports activities for street children
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - This past September, the Ministry for Women and Vulnerable Populations approved a national program for the protection of children and adolescents who live abandoned in the streets. This is the Yachay Program, initially launched in the cities of Lima and Iquitos where there is the greatest number of cases of child exploitation and begging. This year the goal of Yachay is to assist more than 6,000 children and to make aware 3,000 families, involved in this issue, on the importance of schooling. Children will receive school material as well as technical and sports formation. The first is addressed to street teenagers between 14 to 18 years of age, while with sports formation one wants to stimulate the proper use of leisure time and motivate the participant to fight for his life project. Currently, 134 adolescents study in the technical formation centers nationwide and it is expected that this year they become 900. Yachay assists 3,528 children in 24 cities and 20 regions. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 25/04/2013)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking