AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Horacio Cartes elected President
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - The Superior Court of Electoral Justice of Paraguay announced that, based on the results of yesterday's elections Sunday, April 21, Horacio Cartes is the new President of Paraguay. According to data collected by Fides, Cartes obtained 45.91% of the vote compared to 36.84% of his rival of the Partido Liberal, Efrain Alegre, with 81% of votes counted.
The choice of Cartes means the return to power of the Partido Colorado which ruled Paraguay for 60 years until 2008. About 3.5 million people were called to the polls to elect the President and Vice President, members of Congress and the regional governors. These elections are vital to restore the international reputation of the Country after the controversy for Fernando Lugo’s destitution in 2012. Cartes replaces President Federico Franco, who completed the mandate entrusted to Lugo in 2008. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2015-07-20 - "Why are we so inhuman towards each other?" Asks Mgr. Gimenez denouncing violence
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace