AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Horacio Cartes elected President
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - The Superior Court of Electoral Justice of Paraguay announced that, based on the results of yesterday's elections Sunday, April 21, Horacio Cartes is the new President of Paraguay. According to data collected by Fides, Cartes obtained 45.91% of the vote compared to 36.84% of his rival of the Partido Liberal, Efrain Alegre, with 81% of votes counted.
The choice of Cartes means the return to power of the Partido Colorado which ruled Paraguay for 60 years until 2008. About 3.5 million people were called to the polls to elect the President and Vice President, members of Congress and the regional governors. These elections are vital to restore the international reputation of the Country after the controversy for Fernando Lugo’s destitution in 2012. Cartes replaces President Federico Franco, who completed the mandate entrusted to Lugo in 2008. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"
- 2014-02-24 - Campaign to vaccinate children against measles and rubella
- 2014-02-21 - Half a million child laborers, exploited in activities which are dangerous to health and safety
- 2014-01-08 - A group of religious women involved in the protection of young orphans
- 2013-12-10 - "The people demand justice": the cry which concludes the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2013-12-07 - Citizens outraged by politicians, the Bishops denounce corruption
- 2013-10-19 - Children, adolescents and mothers: main victims of dengue