ASIA/PAKISTAN - Caritas in Quetta to help the earthquake victims in Baluchistan
Quetta (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas in Quetta, charitable arm of the Apostolic Vicariate of Quetta, capital of Baluchistan province, has sent a team of volunteers in the district of Mashkail, an area hard hit by the earthquake on April 16 which devastated the Southeast Iran and the south-west of Pakistan (see Fides 17/4). As reported to Fides by missionary Fr. Renald Lawrence, OMI, Prosecutor of the Vicariate, Caritas has prepared a first shipment of humanitarian aid consisting of 150 tents, 150 hygiene kits, 150 food rations that will reach 150 families, including 1,500 IDPs.
"The city of Mashkel, on the border with Iran, - says to Fides the missionary - is deserted. Nearly all the houses collapsed or were damaged. In a few seconds a dust storm covered the entire city, which had 4,500 inhabitants. More than 1,500 people are homeless in Mashkel. There is acute shortage of doctors and medicines, as there is no hospital in the area. The people engaged in the removal of debris are in difficulty due to the lack of machinery and labor. There are many wounded, many of whom have been moved to other districts. "In the area dozens of villages, such as Sotagan, Hawhogay, Kalag, Reki were destroyed. . According to the "Disaster Management Agency" there are about 40 confirmed deaths and 200 are wounded, but the toll is set to rise: 25 people are missing. The Civil Protection of Pakistan has sent rescue teams, with food and medicine. The displaced are spending the night outdoors. Immediate needs are drinking water, tents, blankets and food. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2014-07-24 - Also displaced Christians and Hindus from North Waziristan: no to discrimination
- 2014-07-05 - Escape from terrorism and extremism: the exodus of religious minorities has started
- 2014-07-03 - Terrorist groups settle in the Christian area of Essa Nagri in Karachi
- 2014-07-01 - Solidarity towards the orphans of the massacre in the church of Peshawar
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Lahore: "A new springtime for the Church in our country"
- 2014-06-28 - Discrimination and violence against a Christian businessman, threatened by Islamic extremists
- 2014-06-25 - Petition filed at the High Court: fix a trial date for Asia Bibi
- 2014-06-24 - Historic decision: the birth of the "National Council for the rights of minorities"
- 2014-06-20 - Missio-Aachen: a year dedicated to Pakistan
- 2014-06-18 - No to bail for Islamic extremists who burned the Christian area