ASIA/PAKISTAN - Caritas in Quetta to help the earthquake victims in Baluchistan
Quetta (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas in Quetta, charitable arm of the Apostolic Vicariate of Quetta, capital of Baluchistan province, has sent a team of volunteers in the district of Mashkail, an area hard hit by the earthquake on April 16 which devastated the Southeast Iran and the south-west of Pakistan (see Fides 17/4). As reported to Fides by missionary Fr. Renald Lawrence, OMI, Prosecutor of the Vicariate, Caritas has prepared a first shipment of humanitarian aid consisting of 150 tents, 150 hygiene kits, 150 food rations that will reach 150 families, including 1,500 IDPs.
"The city of Mashkel, on the border with Iran, - says to Fides the missionary - is deserted. Nearly all the houses collapsed or were damaged. In a few seconds a dust storm covered the entire city, which had 4,500 inhabitants. More than 1,500 people are homeless in Mashkel. There is acute shortage of doctors and medicines, as there is no hospital in the area. The people engaged in the removal of debris are in difficulty due to the lack of machinery and labor. There are many wounded, many of whom have been moved to other districts. "In the area dozens of villages, such as Sotagan, Hawhogay, Kalag, Reki were destroyed. . According to the "Disaster Management Agency" there are about 40 confirmed deaths and 200 are wounded, but the toll is set to rise: 25 people are missing. The Civil Protection of Pakistan has sent rescue teams, with food and medicine. The displaced are spending the night outdoors. Immediate needs are drinking water, tents, blankets and food. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/04/2013)
- 2014-12-19 - False accusations of blasphemy towards 11 Christians
- 2014-12-18 - Bishops: a minute of silence in Catholic schools, at Christmas prayer for peace
- 2014-12-17 - Civil society: "The Taliban and Pakistan are incompatible"
- 2014-12-17 - "Justice and Peace" Commission: after the massacre in Peshawar it is urgent to "rediscover unity"
- 2014-12-16 - Land grabbing, instrument of oppression against Christians
- 2014-12-09 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – A Christian woman beaten and humiliated: justice moves
- 2014-12-05 - Missio Christmas Campaign for Asia Bibi
- 2014-12-04 - Archbishop Coutts: “Advent in the spirit of love of neighbour”
- 2014-11-29 - Pakistani Christians in Italy: motion for religious freedom
- 2014-11-27 - The first Catholic radio in Pakistan