AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a thousand people have sought refuge in the hospital" says the Archbishop of Bangui
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "There are more than a thousand people who have take refuge in the hospital in Bangui, fleeing the fighting and looting in several districts of the capital," says to Fides Agency Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui who yesterday paid a visit to the main hospital in the Central African capital. "These people have taken refuge in the hospital to be able to sleep. Among them are many children and elderly people in addition to the patients. Our job is to bring them material and spiritual comfort along with Equipe Caritas," said Mgr. Nzapalainga.
The security in Bangui, as in the rest of the Country remains extremely precarious, to the point that Prime Minister Nicolas Tiangaye sought the help of France and FOMAC (Multinational Force of Central Africa) to "carry out security operations in Bangui and of all regions of the Country. "
Mgr. Nzapalainga confirms that "in Bangui one can hear the crackles of the weapons and the fear remains in the heads and hearts of the people."
"I am especially worried about children, who seem to live in a comatose state. We have decided to give them soccer balls to try to get them to play. I am about to meet with a group of orphans in a neighborhood that has suffered violent looting, to distribute food and bring comfort," concluded Archbishop (LM) (Agenzia Fides 18/04/2013)
- 2013-12-09 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bangui is slowly normalizing, but there are still thousands of refugees in parishes"
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The whole country is terrorized": new testimonies on the drama of Central Africa
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The testimony of two missionaries who welcome the displaced people fleeing violence
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Apocalypse in Bangui" says Mgr. Aguirre to Fides
- 2013-12-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Intense gunfire in Bangui, civilians flee
- 2013-12-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The arrival of French and African troops is having positive effects"
- 2013-12-02 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas meeting in Rome on the humanitarian emergency in Central Africa
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
- 2013-11-21 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Genocide is probably exaggerated, but anything could happen", says a missionary
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "In Central Africa we risk a new bloodbath" says a missionary