VATICAN - Pope Francis: to evangelize, baptism is enough
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - Being Christian "is a gift that makes us go forward with the power of the Spirit in the proclamation of Jesus Christ." And "baptism is enough, it is sufficient to evangelize," to preach Christ even amidst persecution or when one lives in insecurity. This is how Pope Francis outlined the dynamics of the Christian proclamtion in the homily during the Mass he presided over this morning in the chapel of the Domus Sanctae Marthae.
The Pope was inspired by the passage from the Acts of the Apostles read during the liturgy, which described the events of the first Christian community in Jerusalem, affected by the persecution after the martyrdom of St. Stephen. While the apostles remained in Jerusalem, all the others were scattered between Judea and Samaria, and there they "went from place to place, proclaiming the Word" (Acts 8: 4). "They left the house, they brought with them maybe a few things - the Pope said – but "they brought with them the wealth they had: the faith. That wealth that the Lord had given them. They are simple faithful, baptized just a year or so, maybe. But they had the courage to go and proclaim. (...). Baptism gave them the courage, the strength of the Spirit."
Inspired by the Gospel, Pope Francis proposed some reflections on the gift of baptism and the apostolic mission to which all Christians are called: "I think of us who are baptized, if we have this power, I think: do we believe in this, that baptism enough, is it enough to evangelize? Or do we have to wait for the priest to say, that the bishop says ... and we? ". In this regard, the Pope repeated the story of the Christian communities in Japan in the seventeenth century, affected by persecutions: "In Japan, a fact happened ... The Catholic missionaries were driven out and the communities remained. For two hundred years they were left without priests. When after this time other missionaries arrived again, they found all the communities in place: all baptized, catechized, all married in the church, and those who were dead, all buried in a Christian manner. There is no priest ... Who did this? The baptized." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/04/2013).
- 2014-07-14 - VATICAN – Pope makes heartfelt appeal "to continue to pray for peace in the Holy Land"
- 2014-06-14 - Message of His Holiness Francis for the World Mission Day 2014
- 2014-06-09 - Without the Holy Spirit there is no mission, there is no evangelization
- 2014-06-02 - Death of Cardinal Lourdusamy, he was Secretary of Propaganda Fide and President of the PMS
- 2014-06-02 - Cardinal Filoni to the seminarians in Otélé : "without the logic of holiness, the priestly ministry would simply be a social function"
- 2014-06-02 - Cardinal Filoni to the clergy of Equatorial Guinea: "A priest is not an official of the Church, but administrator of the mysteries of God":
- 2014-05-28 - Cardinal Filoni to the seminarians in Nkolbisson-Yaoundé: "take to heart the ideal of the priest that the Church needs today and will need tomorrow"
- 2014-05-26 - Cardinal Filoni in Cameroon, for the centenary of the evangelization of Bamenda, and in Equatorial Guinea
- 2014-05-21 - Pope Francis invites to pray so that "Catholics in China continue to believe, to hope and to love"
- 2014-05-08 - Cardinal Filoni at the Mater Ecclesiae College: Religious women, missionary outposts and proclamation of the Gospel