ASIA/INDIA - India, the world's largest importer of weapons, must learn from Pacem in Terris
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - "India, the biggest importer of weapons in the world, and one of the 24 countries that abstained in the UN vote in favor of the Treaty on the limitation of the arms trade needs to learn the right lessons on what the Encyclical Pacem in Terris says on the arms race," say the Catholic Bishops of India in a document presented by the Episcopal Commission" Justice and Peace "on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Encyclical of Pope John XXIII.
According to the statements by UCAN News Agency, the Indian Bishops are particularly concerned about the social and economic impact caused by the arms race. "The arms race deprives the least developed Countries of the social and economic progress and creates a climate of fear." "So justice, and the recognition of human dignity cry out insistently for a cessation of the arms race," says the document.
According to the latest report by the Stockholm International Peace Research, India is for the third consecutive year, the world's largest importer of weapons, accounting for 12% of world military imports. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/4/2013)
- 2015-09-01 - Interreligious prayer on the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-31 - In Orissa the Day of Remembrance for the victims of anti-Christian massacres
- 2015-08-29 - The Franciscans in India: an hour of Adoration for the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-28 - India is polio-free: thanks to the collaboration between State and Church
- 2015-08-26 - Census on religions: Muslims increas, Christians stable
- 2015-08-25 - "No more violence": anniversary of anti-Christian massacres in Orissa
- 2015-08-24 - A Christian Forum urges the Government of Orissa to protect Christians
- 2015-08-21 - The Daughters of Mary Help of Christians open a new convent in the state of Orissa
- 2015-08-04 - ASIA/INDIA – Over half a million children engaged in risky work in cotton fields
- 2015-07-28 - Tribal priestesses help preserve millet