ASIA/INDIA - India, the world's largest importer of weapons, must learn from Pacem in Terris
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - "India, the biggest importer of weapons in the world, and one of the 24 countries that abstained in the UN vote in favor of the Treaty on the limitation of the arms trade needs to learn the right lessons on what the Encyclical Pacem in Terris says on the arms race," say the Catholic Bishops of India in a document presented by the Episcopal Commission" Justice and Peace "on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Encyclical of Pope John XXIII.
According to the statements by UCAN News Agency, the Indian Bishops are particularly concerned about the social and economic impact caused by the arms race. "The arms race deprives the least developed Countries of the social and economic progress and creates a climate of fear." "So justice, and the recognition of human dignity cry out insistently for a cessation of the arms race," says the document.
According to the latest report by the Stockholm International Peace Research, India is for the third consecutive year, the world's largest importer of weapons, accounting for 12% of world military imports. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/4/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - ASIA/INDIA – Prison Ministry: the Church denounces overcrowding and is inspired by Fr. Kolbe
- 2014-07-23 - A special school to restore dignity and social role for the disabled
- 2014-07-22 - Religious violence increases in Uttar Pradesh
- 2014-07-09 - There is no end to poverty: it is estimated that there will be an increase of 100 million poor Indians
- 2014-07-09 - The drama of tea pickers left to themselves
- 2014-07-01 - Helping indigenous women and promoting their social and economic development
- 2014-06-20 - A Catholic Dalit is Deputy Prime Minister of the new state of Telangana
- 2014-06-14 - A Bishop: "Communicating the truth, without exagerating with violence against Christians"
- 2014-06-13 - Christians threatened after the murder of a believer in Orissa
- 2014-06-10 - existent sanitation facilities in the state schools of Madurai district