ASIA/INDIA - India, the world's largest importer of weapons, must learn from Pacem in Terris
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - "India, the biggest importer of weapons in the world, and one of the 24 countries that abstained in the UN vote in favor of the Treaty on the limitation of the arms trade needs to learn the right lessons on what the Encyclical Pacem in Terris says on the arms race," say the Catholic Bishops of India in a document presented by the Episcopal Commission" Justice and Peace "on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Encyclical of Pope John XXIII.
According to the statements by UCAN News Agency, the Indian Bishops are particularly concerned about the social and economic impact caused by the arms race. "The arms race deprives the least developed Countries of the social and economic progress and creates a climate of fear." "So justice, and the recognition of human dignity cry out insistently for a cessation of the arms race," says the document.
According to the latest report by the Stockholm International Peace Research, India is for the third consecutive year, the world's largest importer of weapons, accounting for 12% of world military imports. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/4/2013)
- 2014-09-16 - Bishops’ Justice and Peace Commission: a ray of hope for India’s minorities
- 2014-09-15 - ASIA/INDIA – Floods in Kashmir: Jesuits appeal for help
- 2014-09-12 - The Franciscan leadership? Creative and aimed at the poor
- 2014-09-10 - ASIA/INDIA – Catholics in southern India: urgent instruction Christian families
- 2014-09-05 - ASIA/INDIA – Teachers Day: Mother Teresa, teacher ‘par excellence’
- 2014-09-04 - May the Year of Consecrated Life become a ‘lived reality’
- 2014-09-03 - ASIA/INDIA – Floods in Orissa: Caritas appeal for the victims
- 2014-09-02 - Catholic school headmaster beaten and detained on false charges
- 2014-09-01 - ASIA/INDIA – Resignation of the Auxiliary Bishop of Bombay
- 2014-08-30 - ASIA/INDIA – 11 militants arrested for turning a Christian church into a Hindu temple