ASIA/INDIA - India, the world's largest importer of weapons, must learn from Pacem in Terris
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - "India, the biggest importer of weapons in the world, and one of the 24 countries that abstained in the UN vote in favor of the Treaty on the limitation of the arms trade needs to learn the right lessons on what the Encyclical Pacem in Terris says on the arms race," say the Catholic Bishops of India in a document presented by the Episcopal Commission" Justice and Peace "on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Encyclical of Pope John XXIII.
According to the statements by UCAN News Agency, the Indian Bishops are particularly concerned about the social and economic impact caused by the arms race. "The arms race deprives the least developed Countries of the social and economic progress and creates a climate of fear." "So justice, and the recognition of human dignity cry out insistently for a cessation of the arms race," says the document.
According to the latest report by the Stockholm International Peace Research, India is for the third consecutive year, the world's largest importer of weapons, accounting for 12% of world military imports. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/4/2013)
- 2014-03-10 ASIA/INDIA - Christians in Goa ask: To postpone the elections scheduled on Holy Thursday
- 2014-03-10 ASIA/INDIA - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
- 2014-03-07 ASIA/INDIA - Where to be born female is considered "a disaster "
- 2014-03-05 ASIA/INDIA - Religious freedom at risk and violence against minorities, in view of the general elections
- 2014-03-03 ASIA/INDIA - Two men accused of having participated in the murder of the missionary Graham Staines have been acquitted
- 2014-02-25 ASIA/INDIA – The UN takes closer look at massacres in 2002 and the present situation of freedom of religion in Gujarat
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/INDIA - No to social exclusion, no to the caste system: Franciscans in India play a prophetic role
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/INDIA - 78 thousand children die of congenital heart disease every year
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/INDIA - Half of India's population lives in poverty: the responses of the Church
- 2014-02-17 ASIA/INDIA - Bishops' Pastoral Letter on the elections: "The leaders respond to the expectations of the people"