AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Diocese threatened by armed group
Tumaco (Agenzia Fides) - In a statement released by the Diocese of Tumaco (Colombia) says that the Commission for the Social Pastoral of the Diocese was declared "objective and permanent military enemy" by a movement that calls itself the "Grupo Armado Los Rastrojos ".
The statement informs that other 94 social organizations working for the rights of people have been threatened.
"Our commitment as Catholic Church is inspired by the Word of God and the message of Jesus Christ, therefore, our duty has been, is and will be to defend life, to contribute to building peace and denounce all forms of violation of the human rights," the statement said.
The statement calls on the armed group to respect the work of organizations engaged in the defense of human rights and the government to supervise and ensure the safety of the population and the organization threatened.
The note was sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Colombia at a time when the Country continues its campaign to promote dialogue for Peace.
Death threats have a concrete meaning in a country where only in the first 5 weeks of 2013 three priests were murdered. The figures are really impressive. A growing number of pastoral workers have been killed in Colombia since 1984. To be precise, 83 priests, five religious women, three religious men, three seminarians, an archbishop and a bishop and 17 bishops and 52 priests have received death threats. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/04/2013)
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue
- 2015-03-23 - A priest killed after a violent attempted robbery
- 2015-03-18 - Elections: the Archbishop of Medellin urges the socio-political formation of the community
- 2015-03-10 - "Weapons, from security to threat for the family, must be eliminated" asks the Archbishop of Medellin