AMERICA/MEXICO - American Meeting on human trafficking, the largest slavery in this century
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The fifth conference of the World Union of Catholic Women's Organizations of Latin America and the Caribbean (WUCWO) dedicated to the topic of human trafficking is being held in Mexico City. "The objective of the regional conference with the participation of delegations from the various WUCWO member organizations and many others invited – explains the president of the organization Maria Giovanna Ruggieri - consists in the awareness of the ecclesial community and the different situations in which women are integrated with regards to this terrible scourge of our time, which both the civil community and the one with a Christian vision of the person, should fight with all means."
The different interventions during the conference will tackle the subject under different angles: as a general definition of the phenomenon "trafficking" with the identification of social and cultural roots that combine to determine this, the analysis of subjects who are protagonists and how they work with the smuggling networks, the responsibility of governments for law enforcement. The relationship between trafficking and migration and the different forms of exploitation (sexual, commercial and business) will also be analyzed, explains the note sent to Fides.
The meeting began yesterday and ends on Friday, April 12 with the Eucharistic celebration in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico presided by the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Mgr. Christophe Pierre. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2013)
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root
- 2014-07-03 - Formation and spirituality for a missionary Church, engaged in society
- 2014-07-02 - Immigrant children: now even more controls on the southern border of Mexico
- 2014-07-01 - Despite the distrust of the population, the police fight against crime
- 2014-06-30 - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age