AMERICA/MEXICO - American Meeting on human trafficking, the largest slavery in this century
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The fifth conference of the World Union of Catholic Women's Organizations of Latin America and the Caribbean (WUCWO) dedicated to the topic of human trafficking is being held in Mexico City. "The objective of the regional conference with the participation of delegations from the various WUCWO member organizations and many others invited – explains the president of the organization Maria Giovanna Ruggieri - consists in the awareness of the ecclesial community and the different situations in which women are integrated with regards to this terrible scourge of our time, which both the civil community and the one with a Christian vision of the person, should fight with all means."
The different interventions during the conference will tackle the subject under different angles: as a general definition of the phenomenon "trafficking" with the identification of social and cultural roots that combine to determine this, the analysis of subjects who are protagonists and how they work with the smuggling networks, the responsibility of governments for law enforcement. The relationship between trafficking and migration and the different forms of exploitation (sexual, commercial and business) will also be analyzed, explains the note sent to Fides.
The meeting began yesterday and ends on Friday, April 12 with the Eucharistic celebration in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico presided by the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Mgr. Christophe Pierre. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2013)
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce