AMERICA/MEXICO - American Meeting on human trafficking, the largest slavery in this century
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The fifth conference of the World Union of Catholic Women's Organizations of Latin America and the Caribbean (WUCWO) dedicated to the topic of human trafficking is being held in Mexico City. "The objective of the regional conference with the participation of delegations from the various WUCWO member organizations and many others invited – explains the president of the organization Maria Giovanna Ruggieri - consists in the awareness of the ecclesial community and the different situations in which women are integrated with regards to this terrible scourge of our time, which both the civil community and the one with a Christian vision of the person, should fight with all means."
The different interventions during the conference will tackle the subject under different angles: as a general definition of the phenomenon "trafficking" with the identification of social and cultural roots that combine to determine this, the analysis of subjects who are protagonists and how they work with the smuggling networks, the responsibility of governments for law enforcement. The relationship between trafficking and migration and the different forms of exploitation (sexual, commercial and business) will also be analyzed, explains the note sent to Fides.
The meeting began yesterday and ends on Friday, April 12 with the Eucharistic celebration in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico presided by the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Mgr. Christophe Pierre. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/04/2013)
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend