AFRICA/NIGERIA - At least 12 policemen died in an attack claimed by MEND
Abuja (Agenzia Fides)-The Movement for the Emancipation of the Delta (MEND) claimed responsibility for the attack on 6 April in the lagoon of Azuzama, Bayelsa State, southern Nigeria, in which at least 12 policemen were killed. The accident occurred when a boat with several policemen who were escorting a former militant of MEND at the funeral of his mother, had a technical problem and was attacked by armed men.
At first the police denied that the attack was carried out by men of the MEND, and said that 12 policemen were "missing".
The statement by MEND states that threats sent in recent days of a resumption of hostilities (with the code name of "Hurricane Exodus") are real, contradicting the statements of local authorities."
MEND associates the resumption of violence in South Africa to the condemnation of its alleged leader Henry Okah. Okah, who denied having anything to do with MEND, had been arrested in South Africa by the Nigerian authorities due to charges of some terrorist attacks carried out in Nigeria in 2010. On March 26, the court in Johannesburg sentenced him to 24 years in prison for acts of terrorism.
The members of the MEND militants who had laid down their arms benefitted from an amnesty. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2013)
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The latest massacre of civilians unfortunately does not surprise me" says the Archbishop of Jos to Fides
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "No imposition of secular values in Africa," said the Archbishop of Jos
- 2014-02-05 AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "military response alone does not solve anything", says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-01-28 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"