AFRICA/NIGERIA - At least 12 policemen died in an attack claimed by MEND
Abuja (Agenzia Fides)-The Movement for the Emancipation of the Delta (MEND) claimed responsibility for the attack on 6 April in the lagoon of Azuzama, Bayelsa State, southern Nigeria, in which at least 12 policemen were killed. The accident occurred when a boat with several policemen who were escorting a former militant of MEND at the funeral of his mother, had a technical problem and was attacked by armed men.
At first the police denied that the attack was carried out by men of the MEND, and said that 12 policemen were "missing".
The statement by MEND states that threats sent in recent days of a resumption of hostilities (with the code name of "Hurricane Exodus") are real, contradicting the statements of local authorities."
MEND associates the resumption of violence in South Africa to the condemnation of its alleged leader Henry Okah. Okah, who denied having anything to do with MEND, had been arrested in South Africa by the Nigerian authorities due to charges of some terrorist attacks carried out in Nigeria in 2010. On March 26, the court in Johannesburg sentenced him to 24 years in prison for acts of terrorism.
The members of the MEND militants who had laid down their arms benefitted from an amnesty. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2013)
- 2015-05-08 - Kidnapped priest released
- 2015-05-07 - Catholic priest Kidnapped
- 2015-04-29 - The Nigerian army have expressed joy for the release of hostages held by the Boko Haram Islamist sect and sorrow for the discovery of mass graves
- 2015-04-14 - Mgr. Kaigama: "It is worrying that we do not know anything about the Chibok girls one year after their kidnapping"
- 2015-04-14 - The Bishops in Ibadan: "We are concerned about the violation regarding the sanctity of life"
- 2015-04-08 - "Do not give in to the temptation of revenge", says the Bishop of Maiduguri to the displaced persons who have returned to their destroyed homes
- 2015-04-01 - Muhammadu Buhari elected President; Bishops invite to respect the result
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"