AFRICA/NIGERIA - At least 12 policemen died in an attack claimed by MEND
Abuja (Agenzia Fides)-The Movement for the Emancipation of the Delta (MEND) claimed responsibility for the attack on 6 April in the lagoon of Azuzama, Bayelsa State, southern Nigeria, in which at least 12 policemen were killed. The accident occurred when a boat with several policemen who were escorting a former militant of MEND at the funeral of his mother, had a technical problem and was attacked by armed men.
At first the police denied that the attack was carried out by men of the MEND, and said that 12 policemen were "missing".
The statement by MEND states that threats sent in recent days of a resumption of hostilities (with the code name of "Hurricane Exodus") are real, contradicting the statements of local authorities."
MEND associates the resumption of violence in South Africa to the condemnation of its alleged leader Henry Okah. Okah, who denied having anything to do with MEND, had been arrested in South Africa by the Nigerian authorities due to charges of some terrorist attacks carried out in Nigeria in 2010. On March 26, the court in Johannesburg sentenced him to 24 years in prison for acts of terrorism.
The members of the MEND militants who had laid down their arms benefitted from an amnesty. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2013)
- 2015-01-26 - The Bishop of Maiduguri: "Boko Haram could conquer the entire north-east before the end of the election"
- 2015-01-23 - The Bishops: "too many politicians resort to slander and incite violence" during the election campaign
- 2015-01-16 - Malnutrition, trauma, violence: urgent medical assistance to the survivors of the attack committed by Boko Haram
- 2015-01-12 - "Future hope for a major demonstration to take place just like the one in Paris to say no to Boko Haram" proposes Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-01-09 - New violence committed by Boko Haram: perhaps 2,000 dead, several churches burned
- 2015-01-08 - Boko Haram is now a regional problem
- 2014-12-29 - The IDPs in Maiduguri celebrate Christmas among hope and fears of suicide bombs
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"