AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - Refugees without parents: at least 2000 children
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - It is estimated that in the Democratic Republic of Congo (CAR), there are about 22,100 refugees from the Central African Republic (CAR), and that 40% of these are children aged between 2 to 14 separated from their parents during the recent conflict in CAR between the Seleka rebel group and government forces.
According to the International Federation of the Red Cross (IFRC) there are at least 2000 refugee children. Between the months of January and February 2013, the number of refugees increased from 4,000 to 21,352 due to the intensity of the conflict. Most are located near the Ubangi River, where they live in difficult living conditions but are closer to their country and have the opportunity to fish in order to survive, while others are hosted by local families. In Bangui, the capital of RCA taken by the rebels on March 24, according to the head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) for Central and Southern Africa, the situation is far from normalization, although some businesses are recovering. Theft and looting remains a very high risk, and no one knows how the conflict will evolve. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/04/2013)
- 2014-09-18 - "He protected the Muslims": the Alison Des Forges Award to a Central African camillian
- 2014-09-16 - “Central African crisis not insuperable” says Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence