AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - Clashes between police and Renamo: at least 4 victims
Maputo (Agenzia Fides) - 4 people have died and 16 injured in the attack in the early hours of the morning by the men of the Renamo, the main opposition party in Mozambique, at the police command in Muxungué, in the province of Sofala, in the center of the Country. The militants of the Renamo attacked the police station to free their comrades arrested a few hours before. The Renamo (Mozambique National Resistance) fought against the government of Frelimo (Front for the Liberation of Mozambique) during the civil war of 16 years which ended in 1992. Since then it has become the main opposition party. For several months the tension has risen since the leader of the Renamo, Afonso Dhlakama has retired in the old military base of his movement in the forest of Gorongosa, in the province of Sofala in central Mozambique, surrounding himself with armed militants. From this base Dhlakama has issued an ultimatum to President Armando Guebuza to accept the formation of a national unity government.
"We are dealing with disturbing facts but should not be emphasized. So far the clashes figures have been localized in the area " sources of the local Church say to Fides Agency. "There are some sections of the Renamo that have taken a hard line, but there are also several appeals for calm, for an end to these acts of disorder and to resume the dialogue between the parties. These appeals come not only from the Catholic Church but also from other Christian denominations." On April 8, the Bishops will meet in Assembly and it is likely that they will release a statement on the situation that the Country is experiencing.
"The government on the one hand seeks a moderate approach to try to resolve the dispute, on the other, however, must prove that they have the situation under control, and therefore intervenes with police actions, which lead to clashes.
Tension is then placed in relation to the administrative elections in November that the Renamo has stated its intention to boycott" say our sources. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/04/2013)
- 2014-05-08 - Integrated program for the fight against poverty through rural development and human formation: a social project for a rural area
- 2014-03-05 - Famine affects more than 300 000 people
- 2014-02-28 - AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE – Health care and schooling to combat poverty and neglect in the area of Beira
- 2014-01-10 - Clashes with RENAMO extend to the south
- 2014-01-07 - Much is being done to fight malnutrition and give health care assistance to babies of HIV women and AIDS patients
- 2013-11-27 - Southern African Bishops' Appeal for Peace in Mozambique
- 2013-11-08 - AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE – The Mozambican crisis worries neighboring countries; Zimbabwe threatens to intervene
- 2013-06-28 - AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE – Tension in Mozambique after the recent attacks on transportation lines
- 2013-04-05 - Clashes between police and Renamo: at least 4 victims
- 2013-01-30 - Over 50 thousand people displaced due to the floods