AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - "The upcoming presidential elections are an atypical fact. This is a challenge for responsible citizens and highlights the strength and significance of the free and responsible vote. Voting decides! Going to vote is an act of responsibility and love for the homeland, its people and its destiny. Abstention is not conducive to the people," the bishops write in a statement in which they call on the population to vote on April 14.
The Catholic Church has said that the political parties and groups have "the moral and ethical obligation" to follow the Constitution and laws of the election campaign and pointed out that the short duration of the campaign requires candidates to focus on the presentation of the government program ".
"This means abandoning, such as electoral tactics, political violence and false promises, to focus on concrete proposals," the document states.
Venezuelans go to the polls on April 14 to elect a new president out of a group of seven candidates. Among these favorites are the incumbent president Nicolas Maduro, and the opposition leader Henrique Capriles.
The future president must conclude the 2013-2019 term of office for which Chavez was elected in October, which began on January 10. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/04/2013)
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations
- 2014-06-23 - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
- 2014-05-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
- 2014-05-14 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
- 2014-04-16 - "The situation of the country does not depend only on a political issue", said Mgr. Parra Sandoval
- 2014-04-14 - Cardinal Urosa invites to find every possible path to solve the serious problems in the country, due to general discomfort
- 2014-04-11 - Pope Francis writes to Venezuelan leaders and opposition ahead of key talks