AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - "The upcoming presidential elections are an atypical fact. This is a challenge for responsible citizens and highlights the strength and significance of the free and responsible vote. Voting decides! Going to vote is an act of responsibility and love for the homeland, its people and its destiny. Abstention is not conducive to the people," the bishops write in a statement in which they call on the population to vote on April 14.
The Catholic Church has said that the political parties and groups have "the moral and ethical obligation" to follow the Constitution and laws of the election campaign and pointed out that the short duration of the campaign requires candidates to focus on the presentation of the government program ".
"This means abandoning, such as electoral tactics, political violence and false promises, to focus on concrete proposals," the document states.
Venezuelans go to the polls on April 14 to elect a new president out of a group of seven candidates. Among these favorites are the incumbent president Nicolas Maduro, and the opposition leader Henrique Capriles.
The future president must conclude the 2013-2019 term of office for which Chavez was elected in October, which began on January 10. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/04/2013)
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm