AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - "The upcoming presidential elections are an atypical fact. This is a challenge for responsible citizens and highlights the strength and significance of the free and responsible vote. Voting decides! Going to vote is an act of responsibility and love for the homeland, its people and its destiny. Abstention is not conducive to the people," the bishops write in a statement in which they call on the population to vote on April 14.
The Catholic Church has said that the political parties and groups have "the moral and ethical obligation" to follow the Constitution and laws of the election campaign and pointed out that the short duration of the campaign requires candidates to focus on the presentation of the government program ".
"This means abandoning, such as electoral tactics, political violence and false promises, to focus on concrete proposals," the document states.
Venezuelans go to the polls on April 14 to elect a new president out of a group of seven candidates. Among these favorites are the incumbent president Nicolas Maduro, and the opposition leader Henrique Capriles.
The future president must conclude the 2013-2019 term of office for which Chavez was elected in October, which began on January 10. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/04/2013)
- 2013-12-05 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Voting is "a moral obligation": the Archbishop of Caracas invites to participate in the municipal elections
- 2013-12-02 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Final Message of CAM 4: "Missionary America, share your faith!"
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - CAM 4: The American Church in permanent mission to bear witness to life
- 2013-11-28 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A response of the missionary church to the multicultural world, the work of CAM4
- 2013-11-27 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Joy and music for the great feast of the mission: CAM 4 has begun
- 2013-11-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "May this continent allow faith to grow in other continents", said Cardinal Filoni, Special Envoy of the Pope at CAM 4
- 2013-11-25 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - On the eve of the opening of CAM 4, the last phase of the continental missionary journey
- 2013-11-22 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Proclaiming the Gospel in a multicultural world: the opening of CAM 4 approaches
- 2013-11-19 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - No "unclean bread", Bishops' statement on the socio-economic situation
- 2013-11-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A week before the continental missionary event, CAM 4 website is online