AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - "The upcoming presidential elections are an atypical fact. This is a challenge for responsible citizens and highlights the strength and significance of the free and responsible vote. Voting decides! Going to vote is an act of responsibility and love for the homeland, its people and its destiny. Abstention is not conducive to the people," the bishops write in a statement in which they call on the population to vote on April 14.
The Catholic Church has said that the political parties and groups have "the moral and ethical obligation" to follow the Constitution and laws of the election campaign and pointed out that the short duration of the campaign requires candidates to focus on the presentation of the government program ".
"This means abandoning, such as electoral tactics, political violence and false promises, to focus on concrete proposals," the document states.
Venezuelans go to the polls on April 14 to elect a new president out of a group of seven candidates. Among these favorites are the incumbent president Nicolas Maduro, and the opposition leader Henrique Capriles.
The future president must conclude the 2013-2019 term of office for which Chavez was elected in October, which began on January 10. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/04/2013)
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene