AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - "The upcoming presidential elections are an atypical fact. This is a challenge for responsible citizens and highlights the strength and significance of the free and responsible vote. Voting decides! Going to vote is an act of responsibility and love for the homeland, its people and its destiny. Abstention is not conducive to the people," the bishops write in a statement in which they call on the population to vote on April 14.
The Catholic Church has said that the political parties and groups have "the moral and ethical obligation" to follow the Constitution and laws of the election campaign and pointed out that the short duration of the campaign requires candidates to focus on the presentation of the government program ".
"This means abandoning, such as electoral tactics, political violence and false promises, to focus on concrete proposals," the document states.
Venezuelans go to the polls on April 14 to elect a new president out of a group of seven candidates. Among these favorites are the incumbent president Nicolas Maduro, and the opposition leader Henrique Capriles.
The future president must conclude the 2013-2019 term of office for which Chavez was elected in October, which began on January 10. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/04/2013)
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions
- 2014-12-06 - Poverty, few infrastructures and precarious preventive measures: fertile terrain for Chikungunya virus
- 2014-10-28 - Cardinal Urosa Savino: "Respect for political prisoners"
- 2014-10-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – May Saint John Paul II accompany Venezuela in the paths of peace and justice
- 2014-10-01 - "Division is not from God": in march for peace and unity of the country
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed
- 2014-09-27 - "Do not be afraid of peace" Pope Francis’ letter to Venezuela
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church