AMERICA/MEXICO - Indigenous children are the poorest among the poor
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - 53.8% of children living in Mexico live in poverty and 8 out of 10 belong to a different ethnic group. This is what emerges in a recent report released by an official body. Among the 112 million people in Mexico, the indigenous population amounts to 15 million people. Eight out of 10 children and adolescents living in households where they speak indigenous languages are more prone to poverty and 9 out of 10 are victims of some social deficiency, mainly food. A national "crusade" against hunger was launched in an area inhabited by indigenous people under the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN). It is aimed at about 7.4 million people who suffer from hunger and includes 70 social programs. According to the National Council of Evaluation of Social Development Policy (Coneval), 52 million Mexicans are poor and among these 10.7 million live in extreme poverty. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 04/04/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"