ASIA/IRAQ - Meeting between representatives of the Churches on the condition and the current problems of the Christian communities
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday, Tuesday, March 26 leaders and representatives of the Churches and Christian communities in Iraq gathered at the headquarters of the Chaldean Patriarchate in Bagdad to discuss the present condition of the baptized who live in the Middle East and to deal in a joint manner the emergencies and difficulties that wear out the presence of Christians in that Country in the current historical moment. The meeting, convened by the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako, was attended by senior representatives of the Greek-Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic, Assyrian of the East, Syriac-Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox and Syriac-Catholic Churches. The meeting was also attended by George Chamoun, president of the Adventist community in Iraq.
Ecumenism and fraternal dialogue of communion with all Christians is a priority for the current Chaldean Patriarch. "Now," declared S. B. Sako to Fides Agency after his election, "unfortunately one hears some who say: I am more Armenian than Christian, more Assyrian than Christian, more Chaldean than Christian. A tribal mentality persists here and there, so every village aims to have 'its' Bishop or 'its' Patriarch. In this way Christianity is weakened. We, as Bishops, must be vigilant against these evil forms of illness of living one’s own identity." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2012).
- 2014-09-23 - The Chaldean Patriarch to priests and religious who emigrated without permission: come back to serve those most in need
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied