ASIA/IRAQ - Meeting between representatives of the Churches on the condition and the current problems of the Christian communities
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday, Tuesday, March 26 leaders and representatives of the Churches and Christian communities in Iraq gathered at the headquarters of the Chaldean Patriarchate in Bagdad to discuss the present condition of the baptized who live in the Middle East and to deal in a joint manner the emergencies and difficulties that wear out the presence of Christians in that Country in the current historical moment. The meeting, convened by the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako, was attended by senior representatives of the Greek-Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic, Assyrian of the East, Syriac-Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox and Syriac-Catholic Churches. The meeting was also attended by George Chamoun, president of the Adventist community in Iraq.
Ecumenism and fraternal dialogue of communion with all Christians is a priority for the current Chaldean Patriarch. "Now," declared S. B. Sako to Fides Agency after his election, "unfortunately one hears some who say: I am more Armenian than Christian, more Assyrian than Christian, more Chaldean than Christian. A tribal mentality persists here and there, so every village aims to have 'its' Bishop or 'its' Patriarch. In this way Christianity is weakened. We, as Bishops, must be vigilant against these evil forms of illness of living one’s own identity." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2012).
- 2014-12-18 - The Islamic State turns the monastery of St. George into a prison, the cross on the dome removed
- 2014-12-17 - Caritas Iraq intensifies aid for 6 thousand refugee families in Dohuk
- 2014-12-16 - The autonomous region of Kurdistan includes Syriac and Armenian among the official languages
- 2014-12-15 - Solidarity towards Christians: the governor of Kirkuk proclaims December 25 a public Holiday
- 2014-12-13 - President Barzani listens to minorities: need to review the composition of the Electoral Commission
- 2014-12-12 - Iraqi Kurdistan: even Christian politicians criticize the composition of the electoral Commission
- 2014-12-12 - Chaldean Patriarch proposes three days of fasting to ask refugees to return to their homes
- 2014-12-02 - ASIA/IRAQ – Churches in Mosul are used as prisons by jihadist of the Caliphate
- 2014-11-27 - The Chaldean Archbishop of Kirkuk: unrealistic and wrong to dream of an autonomous enclave for Christians in the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-11-25 - The jihadists of the Islamic State destroy the convent of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Mosul