AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - To restore order in Bangui is being attempted, but the situation remains uncertain
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Mixed squads of soldiers of the Multinational Force of Central Africa (FOMAC) and the rebel coalition Seleka are patrolling the streets of Bangui, the capital of the Central African Republic, to bring a minimum of security after its conquest by the men of Seleka.
Michel Djotodia, the leader of Seleka and new "strong man" of the Country after the flight of President François Bozizé in Cameroon, proclaimed that he will rule by decree for the next 3 years after having dissolved parliament and suspended the Constitution. A curfew at night was also imposed in the capital.
The businesses are struggling to open its doors because of the looting that has not spared even the Catholic cathedral in Bangui (see Fides 26/03/2013). Several humanitarian organizations have denounced the looting, particularly in hospitals, threatening the conditions of civilians, already suffering from shortages of food. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam