AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - To restore order in Bangui is being attempted, but the situation remains uncertain
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Mixed squads of soldiers of the Multinational Force of Central Africa (FOMAC) and the rebel coalition Seleka are patrolling the streets of Bangui, the capital of the Central African Republic, to bring a minimum of security after its conquest by the men of Seleka.
Michel Djotodia, the leader of Seleka and new "strong man" of the Country after the flight of President François Bozizé in Cameroon, proclaimed that he will rule by decree for the next 3 years after having dissolved parliament and suspended the Constitution. A curfew at night was also imposed in the capital.
The businesses are struggling to open its doors because of the looting that has not spared even the Catholic cathedral in Bangui (see Fides 26/03/2013). Several humanitarian organizations have denounced the looting, particularly in hospitals, threatening the conditions of civilians, already suffering from shortages of food. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/03/2013)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui