AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Gestures that are potentially prophetic"
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) -The Archbishop of Santa Fe de la Vera Cruz and President of the Argentine Episcopal Conference, Mgr. José Maria Arancedo, said that the arrival of Pope Francis at the Chair of Peter, is an opportunity for all Argentines to "make an effort and to stop the fighting that weaken us."
"I saw the President (Cristina Fernandez) after meeting with the Pope and she seemed excited. I believe that from that meeting something new was born. Whoever does not know how to read the gestures has a political myopia and the future is not for the short-sighted. I think there are gestures that are potentially prophetic," said the archbishop in a statement sent to Fides.
"We have to stop the insults and realize that, in justice and necessary diversity, we must build through dialogue because we belong to the same community," concluded Mgr. Arancedo. The statements of the President of the Episcopal Conference were expressed in Rome before returning to Argentina, where he participated at the enthronement ceremony of the Petrine ministry of Pope Francis. The Church in Argentina experienced moments of great tension with the government and the authorities, especially in December last year (see Fides 17/12/2012).
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/03/2013)
- 2014-09-06 - The life of every migrant demands we build a new world; migrants’ pilgrimage to Luján
- 2014-09-04 - Announcing Christ on the streets: “committed to mission” for the archdiocese of Salta
- 2014-09-03 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Month of the Bible, ideal context for giving new impulse to the evangelising mission of the Church
- 2014-08-21 - The Church launches an alarm regarding the increase of suicides among teenagers
- 2014-08-06 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Pope Francis welcomes the opening of a reception center for victims of sexual exploitation
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites