AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Gestures that are potentially prophetic"
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) -The Archbishop of Santa Fe de la Vera Cruz and President of the Argentine Episcopal Conference, Mgr. José Maria Arancedo, said that the arrival of Pope Francis at the Chair of Peter, is an opportunity for all Argentines to "make an effort and to stop the fighting that weaken us."
"I saw the President (Cristina Fernandez) after meeting with the Pope and she seemed excited. I believe that from that meeting something new was born. Whoever does not know how to read the gestures has a political myopia and the future is not for the short-sighted. I think there are gestures that are potentially prophetic," said the archbishop in a statement sent to Fides.
"We have to stop the insults and realize that, in justice and necessary diversity, we must build through dialogue because we belong to the same community," concluded Mgr. Arancedo. The statements of the President of the Episcopal Conference were expressed in Rome before returning to Argentina, where he participated at the enthronement ceremony of the Petrine ministry of Pope Francis. The Church in Argentina experienced moments of great tension with the government and the authorities, especially in December last year (see Fides 17/12/2012).
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/03/2013)
- 2015-10-06 - Mgr. Gimeno in view of the elections: "We must learn to choose before voting"
- 2015-09-24 - Over 40% of the poor in the capital is under 14 years of age
- 2015-09-23 - Argentinean missionary animators of "mission houses" in Cuba, a testimony
- 2015-09-15 - One death due to malnutrition every 10 hours, 2 out of 10 children do not have adequate food
- 2015-09-14 - The Bishops: malnutrition and poverty in the country, a "terrible reality"
- 2015-09-10 - "Cura Gaucho" on the path towards canonization, the people of Villa Cura Brochero celebrate
- 2015-09-02 - National Biblical campaign on the 50th anniversary of the "Dei Verbum"
- 2015-09-01 - "We cannot accept violence, we have to react": the Archbishop of Cordoba at the funeral of the murdered priest
- 2015-08-31 - Meeting of the PMS of Cone sur: from Ad Gentes to Evangelii Gaudium
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces