AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Gestures that are potentially prophetic"
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) -The Archbishop of Santa Fe de la Vera Cruz and President of the Argentine Episcopal Conference, Mgr. José Maria Arancedo, said that the arrival of Pope Francis at the Chair of Peter, is an opportunity for all Argentines to "make an effort and to stop the fighting that weaken us."
"I saw the President (Cristina Fernandez) after meeting with the Pope and she seemed excited. I believe that from that meeting something new was born. Whoever does not know how to read the gestures has a political myopia and the future is not for the short-sighted. I think there are gestures that are potentially prophetic," said the archbishop in a statement sent to Fides.
"We have to stop the insults and realize that, in justice and necessary diversity, we must build through dialogue because we belong to the same community," concluded Mgr. Arancedo. The statements of the President of the Episcopal Conference were expressed in Rome before returning to Argentina, where he participated at the enthronement ceremony of the Petrine ministry of Pope Francis. The Church in Argentina experienced moments of great tension with the government and the authorities, especially in December last year (see Fides 17/12/2012).
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/03/2013)
- 2015-03-04 - "God did not create borders": for 65 years a Mass for brotherhood between Chile and Argentina
- 2015-02-17 - During Lent let us assess our spirit of mission: message from Archbishop Arancedo
- 2015-02-14 - Mgr. Buenanueva:"We need good quality citizens"
- 2015-02-12 - Mgr. Lozano denounces: deaths due to child malnutrition in the country
- 2015-01-22 - Nisman case: Bishops: "the people want the truth"
- 2015-01-15 - Divine Word Missionaries from Asia, Africa and Oceania work in Argentina
- 2015-01-09 - Tuberculosis and Chagas disease out of control in the Chaco
- 2014-12-23 - Church and government for the common good and peace of the country
- 2014-12-19 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Bishops: "Working together to build a more fraternal Country"
- 2014-12-17 - Church and government meet again