AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - Fighting between the army and rebels restart
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Hostilities between the forces of President François Bozizé and the rebels of the coalition Seleka have restarted.
The rebels of Seleka are already 80 km from Bangui, according to what local sources reported to Fides Agency, but I emphasize that this piece of news is yet to be confirmed.
According to news agency the Central African army said that fighting between troops and rebels in the town of Bossangoa (250 km from the capital, Bangui) are ongoing. A spokesman of Seleka instead said that the city was conquered by the rebels "in 15 minutes" because the regular troops had virtually abandoned without fighting.
The rebels of Seleka accuse the President of not respecting the agreements signed in January in Libreville (Gabon), in particular as regards to the release of political prisoners, the withdrawal of South African and Ugandan troops in the Country, and the integration of its fighters in the ranks of the regular army. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/03/2013)
- 2014-04-10 - Solidarity Visit to Bangui of a U.S. interfaith delegation
- 2014-04-08 - "The only institution that still functions is the Catholic Church" says the Archbishop of Douala on a visit in Bangui
- 2014-03-20 - "The rainy season is approaching, emergency aid for displaced people is urgently needed" say religious leaders
- 2014-03-17 - "The conflict is not about religion", said Ban Ki-moon during the meeting with religious leaders for peace
- 2014-03-12 - "The situation has improved in Bozoum, but the situation remains precarious in the rest of the Country", says a missionary
- 2014-03-05 - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 - "God exists and God knows"