AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - Fighting between the army and rebels restart
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Hostilities between the forces of President François Bozizé and the rebels of the coalition Seleka have restarted.
The rebels of Seleka are already 80 km from Bangui, according to what local sources reported to Fides Agency, but I emphasize that this piece of news is yet to be confirmed.
According to news agency the Central African army said that fighting between troops and rebels in the town of Bossangoa (250 km from the capital, Bangui) are ongoing. A spokesman of Seleka instead said that the city was conquered by the rebels "in 15 minutes" because the regular troops had virtually abandoned without fighting.
The rebels of Seleka accuse the President of not respecting the agreements signed in January in Libreville (Gabon), in particular as regards to the release of political prisoners, the withdrawal of South African and Ugandan troops in the Country, and the integration of its fighters in the ranks of the regular army. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/03/2013)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-12-04 - Special Mass for peace at Bangui Carmel hosting 4,000 refugees
- 2014-12-02 - The Bishops denounce: "Banditry threatens peace, it seems that some have fun scattering weapons among the population"