AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - Fighting between the army and rebels restart
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Hostilities between the forces of President François Bozizé and the rebels of the coalition Seleka have restarted.
The rebels of Seleka are already 80 km from Bangui, according to what local sources reported to Fides Agency, but I emphasize that this piece of news is yet to be confirmed.
According to news agency the Central African army said that fighting between troops and rebels in the town of Bossangoa (250 km from the capital, Bangui) are ongoing. A spokesman of Seleka instead said that the city was conquered by the rebels "in 15 minutes" because the regular troops had virtually abandoned without fighting.
The rebels of Seleka accuse the President of not respecting the agreements signed in January in Libreville (Gabon), in particular as regards to the release of political prisoners, the withdrawal of South African and Ugandan troops in the Country, and the integration of its fighters in the ranks of the regular army. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/03/2013)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-12-04 - Special Mass for peace at Bangui Carmel hosting 4,000 refugees
- 2014-12-02 - The Bishops denounce: "Banditry threatens peace, it seems that some have fun scattering weapons among the population"
- 2014-11-28 - The head of the group that had seized the Polish priest has been released
- 2014-11-27 - The Vicar General of Bouar: "Fr. Mateusz is fine and was released without the use of force"
- 2014-11-25 - Mgr. Nzapalainga and the Church in aid of former Seleka rebels: a gesture of forgiveness and reconciliation
- 2014-11-20 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Award given to the leaders of the "platform of Religious for Peace", including the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-10-15 - Contacts with the kidnappers of the Polish missionary
- 2014-10-08 - Despite chaos and violence in Bozoum, schools have reopened and the pastoral year has started
- 2014-10-03 - Caritas France: "The situation is still critical because of violence"