AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - Fighting between the army and rebels restart
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Hostilities between the forces of President François Bozizé and the rebels of the coalition Seleka have restarted.
The rebels of Seleka are already 80 km from Bangui, according to what local sources reported to Fides Agency, but I emphasize that this piece of news is yet to be confirmed.
According to news agency the Central African army said that fighting between troops and rebels in the town of Bossangoa (250 km from the capital, Bangui) are ongoing. A spokesman of Seleka instead said that the city was conquered by the rebels "in 15 minutes" because the regular troops had virtually abandoned without fighting.
The rebels of Seleka accuse the President of not respecting the agreements signed in January in Libreville (Gabon), in particular as regards to the release of political prisoners, the withdrawal of South African and Ugandan troops in the Country, and the integration of its fighters in the ranks of the regular army. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/03/2013)
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The whole country is terrorized": new testimonies on the drama of Central Africa
- 2013-12-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The testimony of two missionaries who welcome the displaced people fleeing violence
- 2013-12-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Apocalypse in Bangui" says Mgr. Aguirre to Fides
- 2013-12-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Intense gunfire in Bangui, civilians flee
- 2013-12-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The arrival of French and African troops is having positive effects"
- 2013-12-02 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Caritas meeting in Rome on the humanitarian emergency in Central Africa
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Precarious situation in Central Africa; Paris announces the sending of other 800 soldiers
- 2013-11-21 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Genocide is probably exaggerated, but anything could happen", says a missionary
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "In Central Africa we risk a new bloodbath" says a missionary
- 2013-11-11 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Calm returns in Bouar, Caritas in aid of the displaced