AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishop of Kano, " persecutions and martyrdom are concrete realities for many Christians in Nigeria "
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "The Boko Haram religious sect forms the most comprehensive and extensive challenge to our national life and religious freedom in Nigeria." This was stated by Mgr. John Niyiring, Bishop of Kano, a city in northern Nigeria, where on March 18, 41 people were killed in a suicide bombing at the local bus station. Two suicide bombers launched themselves with a car filled with explosives against five buses full of passengers awaiting departure towards the south of the Country.
In his speech at the conference organized by the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria, entitled "Peace and Reconciliation, a Nigerian perspective in the light of Africae Munus," Mgr. Niyiring pointed out that "The primary mission of the Church is to proclaim the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ through word and deeds in all contexts and circumstances. The context of our conversation is being a Christian in today`s Nigeria of violence and insecurity. We live in challenging situations in our Country; persecutions and martyrdom are concrete realities for many Christians in Nigeria. " Despite this, the Bishop concluded by saying that " the rich history of the Church demonstrates that the difficulties and challenges from within and without of Christianity can serve as spring bunch for an authentic living out of the gospel values ." (LM) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2013)
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-06 - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
- 2014-06-06 - "Boko Haram threatens the unity of the army", says Cardinal Onaiyekan to Fides
- 2014-05-28 - Boko Haram: For Cardinal Onaiyekan "It is not enough to condemn violence alone, but it is also necessary to condemn intollerant positions"
- 2014-05-23 - "The kidnapping of the girls in Chibok has united the Country", said the Bishop of Sokoto