AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishop of Kano, " persecutions and martyrdom are concrete realities for many Christians in Nigeria "
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "The Boko Haram religious sect forms the most comprehensive and extensive challenge to our national life and religious freedom in Nigeria." This was stated by Mgr. John Niyiring, Bishop of Kano, a city in northern Nigeria, where on March 18, 41 people were killed in a suicide bombing at the local bus station. Two suicide bombers launched themselves with a car filled with explosives against five buses full of passengers awaiting departure towards the south of the Country.
In his speech at the conference organized by the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria, entitled "Peace and Reconciliation, a Nigerian perspective in the light of Africae Munus," Mgr. Niyiring pointed out that "The primary mission of the Church is to proclaim the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ through word and deeds in all contexts and circumstances. The context of our conversation is being a Christian in today`s Nigeria of violence and insecurity. We live in challenging situations in our Country; persecutions and martyrdom are concrete realities for many Christians in Nigeria. " Despite this, the Bishop concluded by saying that " the rich history of the Church demonstrates that the difficulties and challenges from within and without of Christianity can serve as spring bunch for an authentic living out of the gospel values ." (LM) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2013)
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"
- 2014-11-27 - Boko Haram plans attacks with suicide women bombers disguised as nuns
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram