AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishop of Kano, " persecutions and martyrdom are concrete realities for many Christians in Nigeria "
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "The Boko Haram religious sect forms the most comprehensive and extensive challenge to our national life and religious freedom in Nigeria." This was stated by Mgr. John Niyiring, Bishop of Kano, a city in northern Nigeria, where on March 18, 41 people were killed in a suicide bombing at the local bus station. Two suicide bombers launched themselves with a car filled with explosives against five buses full of passengers awaiting departure towards the south of the Country.
In his speech at the conference organized by the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria, entitled "Peace and Reconciliation, a Nigerian perspective in the light of Africae Munus," Mgr. Niyiring pointed out that "The primary mission of the Church is to proclaim the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ through word and deeds in all contexts and circumstances. The context of our conversation is being a Christian in today`s Nigeria of violence and insecurity. We live in challenging situations in our Country; persecutions and martyrdom are concrete realities for many Christians in Nigeria. " Despite this, the Bishop concluded by saying that " the rich history of the Church demonstrates that the difficulties and challenges from within and without of Christianity can serve as spring bunch for an authentic living out of the gospel values ." (LM) (Agenzia Fides 20/03/2013)
- 2015-03-25 - "Elections can be held in Maiduguri" says the Bishop
- 2015-03-23 - Cardinal Onaiyekan: "We need a change in policy, people are tired"
- 2015-03-18 - No trace of the schoolgirls abducted in areas reconquered by the army
- 2015-03-16 - Religious leaders: "Development and the fight against corruption to stop Boko Haram"
- 2015-03-10 - The Nigerian Bishops to 36,000 refugees in northern Cameroon: "We have not abandoned you!"
- 2015-03-04 - The Bishops of Nigeria and Cameroon together in assisting refugees fleeing Boko Haram
- 2015-02-26 - "Family threatened by materialism and selfishness", say the Bishops
- 2015-02-09 - "We hope that the postponement of the election was made with good intentions", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-02-05 - "If Maiduguri falls into the hands of Boko Haram, it would be a disaster for Africa as a continent"
- 2015-01-26 - The Bishop of Maiduguri: "Boko Haram could conquer the entire north-east before the end of the election"