AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Death of Bishop of Torit
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Bishop Akio Johnson Mutek, Bishop of Torit (South Sudan) died at the Aga Khan Hospital in Nairobi on Sunday night, March 17.
According to the Catholic Radio Network Mgr. Mutek was rushed to the hospital in Juba in Nairobi as a result of serious kidney complications.
Mgr. Mutek, who was 55 years old, had undergone two kidney transplants in India.
Mgr. Mutek was ordained a priest on December 18, 1988, and appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Torit on May 18, 1999.
He was ordained a Bishop on August 15, 1999 and appointed Bishop of Torit on June 9, 2007. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/03/2013)
- 2013-11-29 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - In November, 4 death sentences were carried out despite appeals for a moratorium on capital punishment
- 2013-11-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Foundation stone laid at the Catholic University of South Sudan
- 2013-08-06 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Emergency cases of measles complicated in addition to 1,500 of malaria
- 2013-07-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tense Climate after the deposition of the government
- 2013-07-24 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Food emergency for thousands of people who have fled into the forests of the State of Jonglei
- 2013-07-24 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Bishop Kussala: "The military presence is not the solution"
- 2013-07-09 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Abolition of the death penalty: appeal on the 2nd anniversary of the independence of South Sudan
- 2013-07-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Catholic Radio station in Rumbek resumes broadcasting
- 2013-07-01 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Alarm measles for 10 counties in the Country
- 2013-06-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - A day of prayer for national reconciliation has been announced