AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - The advance of the rebels towards the east seems to have stopped
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - The advance towards the east of the dissident faction of Seleka who conquered Bangassou on March 11, in south-eastern Central African Republic (see Fides 03/12/2013) seems to have stopped.
"I was able to contact the mission of Rafai which is 150 km from Bangassou. The rebels have not entered the mission but they managed to steal missionary father's car and then left again heading towards Bangassou" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Juan José Aguirre Munos, Bishop of Bangassou.
"Thank God, therefore the rebels have not continued towards the town of Rafa or beyond this, towards Zemio and Obo. In this last place the Seleka men would have to face the military and especially the Central African Ugandan soldiers and Americans and even the LRA rebels, " added the Bishop. "So in the end the rebels have returned to Bangassou, where so far we have not had precise information about the situation," concluded Mgr. Aguirre Munos. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/03/2013)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Central African Republic is likely to become a home for Al Qaeda," says a missionary
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Planned destruction of Christian churches" the Bishops denounce
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "What are the true intentions of Seleka towards us?" Ask the Bishops
- 2013-05-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The looting of the rebels continues, another church desecrated
- 2013-04-25 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - A month after the conquest of Bangui rebels continue to vex the population
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Central African Countries promise another 2000 men to ensure safety
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a thousand people have sought refuge in the hospital" says the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-16 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The already poor population is stripped of everything," denounces the Bishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Chaotic situation, who can must escape"
- 2013-04-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA- Still chaos but the new authorities carry out some steps to stabilize the situation