AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - The advance of the rebels towards the east seems to have stopped
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - The advance towards the east of the dissident faction of Seleka who conquered Bangassou on March 11, in south-eastern Central African Republic (see Fides 03/12/2013) seems to have stopped.
"I was able to contact the mission of Rafai which is 150 km from Bangassou. The rebels have not entered the mission but they managed to steal missionary father's car and then left again heading towards Bangassou" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Juan José Aguirre Munos, Bishop of Bangassou.
"Thank God, therefore the rebels have not continued towards the town of Rafa or beyond this, towards Zemio and Obo. In this last place the Seleka men would have to face the military and especially the Central African Ugandan soldiers and Americans and even the LRA rebels, " added the Bishop. "So in the end the rebels have returned to Bangassou, where so far we have not had precise information about the situation," concluded Mgr. Aguirre Munos. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/03/2013)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2014-10-15 - Contacts with the kidnappers of the Polish missionary
- 2014-10-08 - Despite chaos and violence in Bozoum, schools have reopened and the pastoral year has started
- 2014-10-03 - Caritas France: "The situation is still critical because of violence"
- 2014-10-01 - "The crisis pushes more and more faithful to religious syncretism" denounces Mgr. Nzapalainga
- 2014-09-18 - "He protected the Muslims": the Alison Des Forges Award to a Central African camillian
- 2014-09-16 - “Central African crisis not insuperable” says Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed