AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Kenyatta wins but Odinga presents recourse
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - Raila Odinga, the outgoing Kenyan Premier, defeated in the presidential election on March 4, will appeal to the Supreme Court to challenge the victory of Uhuru Kenyatta.
After 5 days of counting, on March 9 the Independent Electoral Commission announced the victory of Kenyatta, who obtained 50.07% of the votes expressed, against 43.31% of Odinga. The new President was elected with only 8,400 more than needed to avoid a run-off (to win in the first round one must get 50% plus one vote).
On the head of Uhuru Kenyatta (son of the "father of the nation", the independence leader and first President of the country, Jomo Kenyatta) hangs but an indictment of the International Criminal Court (ICC) for his alleged involvement in the violence that followed the disputed presidential elections in December 2007. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/03/2013)
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor