AFRICA/MALI - The population of Mali finds hope again
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - The military successes of the Franco-Malian troups (supported by those in Chad) in the north of Mali incourage people who see a possible way out from the crisis. "Not only jiahdisti groups were expelled and moved away from large urban centers in the north, but the reduction of their strength gives hope to the Malians of improved security conditions in the Country," says to Fides Agency Father Edmond Dembele, Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Mali.
"The people of the northern cities released by the presence of jihadist groups have started a new life again and feel more secure," adds Fr. Dembele.
The government announced on March 6 the creation of a Commission for Dialogue and Reconciliation to find a way to pacify the Country. "The composition of this body is yet to be decided. We think that the Catholic Church will be part of this body, because, as the Prime Minister said, in the Commission the different social and religious components of the Country will merge, so that all Malians can identify themselves in this structure," says Fr. Dembele.
"Mali has never known a division between people of northern and southern populations, but rather about different parts of society, even on an ethnic basis. So I think that within the Commission one will reason in these terms, rather than a division between north and south," concludes the priest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - The peace agreement signed in a climate of emotion and conviviality
- 2015-05-25 - Despite the latest violence, one hopes in the talks in Algiers in order to reach peace
- 2015-05-06 - President of the Episcopal Conference:"Mali wants peace, Muslims have suffered the violence of the jihadists"
- 2015-03-09 - The attack on the UN base in Kidal and the bombing in Bamako committed by the same group
- 2014-11-25 - Other kidnappings of children in a climate of instability due to the presence of armed groups
- 2014-11-21 - AFRICA/MALI – Ebola: annual pilgrimage postponed
- 2014-10-06 - "It is necessary to stabilize the south of Libya in order to stop the attacks in Mali", said the Secretary of the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process