AFRICA/MALI - The population of Mali finds hope again
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - The military successes of the Franco-Malian troups (supported by those in Chad) in the north of Mali incourage people who see a possible way out from the crisis. "Not only jiahdisti groups were expelled and moved away from large urban centers in the north, but the reduction of their strength gives hope to the Malians of improved security conditions in the Country," says to Fides Agency Father Edmond Dembele, Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Mali.
"The people of the northern cities released by the presence of jihadist groups have started a new life again and feel more secure," adds Fr. Dembele.
The government announced on March 6 the creation of a Commission for Dialogue and Reconciliation to find a way to pacify the Country. "The composition of this body is yet to be decided. We think that the Catholic Church will be part of this body, because, as the Prime Minister said, in the Commission the different social and religious components of the Country will merge, so that all Malians can identify themselves in this structure," says Fr. Dembele.
"Mali has never known a division between people of northern and southern populations, but rather about different parts of society, even on an ethnic basis. So I think that within the Commission one will reason in these terms, rather than a division between north and south," concludes the priest. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2013)
- 2013-04-29 AFRICA/MALI – The situation improves but the plight of displaced persons and refugees is not forgotten
- 2013-04-10 AFRICA/MALI - Refugees, food shortages and mine clearance: new emergencies in the Country
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/MALI - The population of Mali finds hope again
- 2013-02-12 AFRICA/MALI - Religious leaders consulted on the crisis of the Malian army
- 2013-02-04 AFRICA/MALI - The situation is improving but the crisis is not over; Bishop of Mopti’s appeal for the displaced
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/MALI - "The need to face the challenge of national reconciliation immediately" ask the Bishops
- 2013-01-28 AFRICA/MALI - The population of the cities liberated are celebrating
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/MALI - Armed conflict exacerbates the already precarious country's education system
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/MALI - Bishops’ appeal for prayer and solidarity, who today will be received by the Head of State
- 2013-01-23 AFRICA/MALI - Japan closes its embassy in Bamako, but there are no specific threats against foreigners