AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - In Kenya the counting of the presidential election votes held on 4 March continues, albeit slowly. From the initial data so far available it appears that Uhuru Kenyatta is ahead with 53% , followed by his main rival, Raila Odinga, with 42% of votes.
The elections were marked by episodes of violence: at least 17 people, including nine
police officers, were killed in two separate attacks in the district of Changamwe, on the outskirts of the nearby town of Mombasa and Kilifi.
The Catholic Church has offered its contribution to ensure free and fair elections with their election observers. Among them were 30 people sent from AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa). In a telephone interview with CISA, AMECEA head of Peace and Justice Department, Father Jude Waweru said the Catholic Church in Kenya has invited over 30 Observers.
“The invited Elections Observers are drawn from the eight countries of AMECEA, namely: Uganda, Tanzania, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zambia, Sudan and South Sudan and include the clergy, religious men and women and the laity. Also included is a team of Catholic scholars from the Catholic University of Eastern Africa, based at Langata, Nairobi."(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2013)
- 2014-01-07 AFRICA/KENYA - Food, clothing, shelter, water: emergency for Sudanese refugees
- 2013-11-19 AFRICA/KENYA - Polio alert in the Horn of Africa: planned vaccination campaigns for millions of children
- 2013-11-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
- 2013-11-09 AFRICA/KENYA - The Bishops of Kenya: insecurity, corruption and greed devastate the nation
- 2013-10-24 AFRICA/KENYA - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
- 2013-10-02 AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/KENYA - Controversy over the assault at Westgate
- 2013-09-25 AFRICA/KENYA – End of the siege at the mall in Nairobi. Cardinal Njue visits the wounded
- 2013-09-24 AFRICA/KENYA – Attack in Nairobi: A Bishop invites to pray also via twitter
- 2013-09-23 AFRICA/KENYA - Religious leaders united: "we are convinced beyond doubt that the attempt to sow seeds of discord between Christians and Muslims will fail"