AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - In Kenya the counting of the presidential election votes held on 4 March continues, albeit slowly. From the initial data so far available it appears that Uhuru Kenyatta is ahead with 53% , followed by his main rival, Raila Odinga, with 42% of votes.
The elections were marked by episodes of violence: at least 17 people, including nine
police officers, were killed in two separate attacks in the district of Changamwe, on the outskirts of the nearby town of Mombasa and Kilifi.
The Catholic Church has offered its contribution to ensure free and fair elections with their election observers. Among them were 30 people sent from AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa). In a telephone interview with CISA, AMECEA head of Peace and Justice Department, Father Jude Waweru said the Catholic Church in Kenya has invited over 30 Observers.
“The invited Elections Observers are drawn from the eight countries of AMECEA, namely: Uganda, Tanzania, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zambia, Sudan and South Sudan and include the clergy, religious men and women and the laity. Also included is a team of Catholic scholars from the Catholic University of Eastern Africa, based at Langata, Nairobi."(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2013)
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights