AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - In Kenya the counting of the presidential election votes held on 4 March continues, albeit slowly. From the initial data so far available it appears that Uhuru Kenyatta is ahead with 53% , followed by his main rival, Raila Odinga, with 42% of votes.
The elections were marked by episodes of violence: at least 17 people, including nine
police officers, were killed in two separate attacks in the district of Changamwe, on the outskirts of the nearby town of Mombasa and Kilifi.
The Catholic Church has offered its contribution to ensure free and fair elections with their election observers. Among them were 30 people sent from AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa). In a telephone interview with CISA, AMECEA head of Peace and Justice Department, Father Jude Waweru said the Catholic Church in Kenya has invited over 30 Observers.
“The invited Elections Observers are drawn from the eight countries of AMECEA, namely: Uganda, Tanzania, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zambia, Sudan and South Sudan and include the clergy, religious men and women and the laity. Also included is a team of Catholic scholars from the Catholic University of Eastern Africa, based at Langata, Nairobi."(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2013)
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Kenyatta wins but Odinga presents recourse
- 2013-03-08 AFRICA/KENYA - Waiting for the election results; the Bishops appeal for calm
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
- 2013-02-28 AFRICA/KENYA - Elections: Archbishop Lele’s appeal "avoid violence and ethnic discrimination"
- 2013-02-15 AFRICA/KENYA - "Elections should not divide us anymore," said Archbishop Okoth
- 2013-01-10 AFRICA/KENYA - New massacres in the Tana Delta, concern for the hundreds of thousands of weapons in circulation
- 2012-12-21 AFRICA/KENYA - At least 30 deaths for an assault on a village in the Tana River District
- 2012-12-14 AFRICA/KENYA - "Reconciliation passes through respect for differences," say the Bishops in the 2013 elections
- 2012-12-13 AFRICA/KENYA - "Demarcation of borders to avoid further violence," the request of the Bishops of four East African countries
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/KENYA - No more shooting in Garissa, but the population is irritated by the violence on behalf of the army