AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - In Kenya the counting of the presidential election votes held on 4 March continues, albeit slowly. From the initial data so far available it appears that Uhuru Kenyatta is ahead with 53% , followed by his main rival, Raila Odinga, with 42% of votes.
The elections were marked by episodes of violence: at least 17 people, including nine
police officers, were killed in two separate attacks in the district of Changamwe, on the outskirts of the nearby town of Mombasa and Kilifi.
The Catholic Church has offered its contribution to ensure free and fair elections with their election observers. Among them were 30 people sent from AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa). In a telephone interview with CISA, AMECEA head of Peace and Justice Department, Father Jude Waweru said the Catholic Church in Kenya has invited over 30 Observers.
“The invited Elections Observers are drawn from the eight countries of AMECEA, namely: Uganda, Tanzania, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zambia, Sudan and South Sudan and include the clergy, religious men and women and the laity. Also included is a team of Catholic scholars from the Catholic University of Eastern Africa, based at Langata, Nairobi."(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - The Bishops: "What does the tetanus campaign hide?"
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"