AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - In Kenya the counting of the presidential election votes held on 4 March continues, albeit slowly. From the initial data so far available it appears that Uhuru Kenyatta is ahead with 53% , followed by his main rival, Raila Odinga, with 42% of votes.
The elections were marked by episodes of violence: at least 17 people, including nine
police officers, were killed in two separate attacks in the district of Changamwe, on the outskirts of the nearby town of Mombasa and Kilifi.
The Catholic Church has offered its contribution to ensure free and fair elections with their election observers. Among them were 30 people sent from AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa). In a telephone interview with CISA, AMECEA head of Peace and Justice Department, Father Jude Waweru said the Catholic Church in Kenya has invited over 30 Observers.
“The invited Elections Observers are drawn from the eight countries of AMECEA, namely: Uganda, Tanzania, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zambia, Sudan and South Sudan and include the clergy, religious men and women and the laity. Also included is a team of Catholic scholars from the Catholic University of Eastern Africa, based at Langata, Nairobi."(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2013)
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"