AFRICA/KENYA - The counts of the presidential election continues
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - In Kenya the counting of the presidential election votes held on 4 March continues, albeit slowly. From the initial data so far available it appears that Uhuru Kenyatta is ahead with 53% , followed by his main rival, Raila Odinga, with 42% of votes.
The elections were marked by episodes of violence: at least 17 people, including nine
police officers, were killed in two separate attacks in the district of Changamwe, on the outskirts of the nearby town of Mombasa and Kilifi.
The Catholic Church has offered its contribution to ensure free and fair elections with their election observers. Among them were 30 people sent from AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa). In a telephone interview with CISA, AMECEA head of Peace and Justice Department, Father Jude Waweru said the Catholic Church in Kenya has invited over 30 Observers.
“The invited Elections Observers are drawn from the eight countries of AMECEA, namely: Uganda, Tanzania, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zambia, Sudan and South Sudan and include the clergy, religious men and women and the laity. Also included is a team of Catholic scholars from the Catholic University of Eastern Africa, based at Langata, Nairobi."(L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2013)
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana
- 2014-10-17 - The Bishops: "What does the tetanus campaign hide?"
- 2014-09-05 - “Enough violence in northern Kenya!” cry Catholic Bishops
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – New Rector for St. Matthias Mulumba Major seminary in the diocese of Eldoret
- 2014-09-05 - diocesan Major Seminary in the diocese of Nakuru, appointed.
- 2014-09-04 - AFRICA/KENYA – Rector for St. Thomas Aquinas major seminary in Nairobi appointed