AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "Education is the key to the development of the country": Assembly of Bishops has begun
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - What began on Monday, March 4 in Asuncion is an assembly of Bishops dedicated to the central theme of education as a key to the development of the country. The Plenary Assembly of the Bishops' Conference of Paraguay takes place in a particular context of the Church: the Empty See, following the resignation of Benedict XVI.
As reported to Fides, the first act of the meeting was the visit of the Apostolic Nuncio of Paraguay, His Excellency, Archbishop Eliseo Antonio Ariotti, who proposed an excursus on the life of the Church, saying, "In Paraguay, the social and political scenery remains delicate. It is necessary to work to ensure respect for the common good and the defense of ethics. Pastors are committed to accompanying the Paraguayan people and promoting dialogue for the common good."
At the end of the Assembly the Bishops intend to publish a special "pastoral Letter on education," in which, as anticipated by Fides Agency, it will say that "besides faith, education is also necessary." The text will emphasize that people should be educated to use their skills and be involved in the development and transformation of their country.
A note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference also indicates another important issue under discussion in the Bishops' Conference: the publication of the Bishops’ Message on the occasion of the next general elections, to be held in April 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2013)
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"
- 2014-02-24 - Campaign to vaccinate children against measles and rubella
- 2014-02-21 - Half a million child laborers, exploited in activities which are dangerous to health and safety
- 2014-01-08 - A group of religious women involved in the protection of young orphans
- 2013-12-10 - "The people demand justice": the cry which concludes the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2013-12-07 - Citizens outraged by politicians, the Bishops denounce corruption
- 2013-10-19 - Children, adolescents and mothers: main victims of dengue