AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "Education is the key to the development of the country": Assembly of Bishops has begun
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - What began on Monday, March 4 in Asuncion is an assembly of Bishops dedicated to the central theme of education as a key to the development of the country. The Plenary Assembly of the Bishops' Conference of Paraguay takes place in a particular context of the Church: the Empty See, following the resignation of Benedict XVI.
As reported to Fides, the first act of the meeting was the visit of the Apostolic Nuncio of Paraguay, His Excellency, Archbishop Eliseo Antonio Ariotti, who proposed an excursus on the life of the Church, saying, "In Paraguay, the social and political scenery remains delicate. It is necessary to work to ensure respect for the common good and the defense of ethics. Pastors are committed to accompanying the Paraguayan people and promoting dialogue for the common good."
At the end of the Assembly the Bishops intend to publish a special "pastoral Letter on education," in which, as anticipated by Fides Agency, it will say that "besides faith, education is also necessary." The text will emphasize that people should be educated to use their skills and be involved in the development and transformation of their country.
A note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference also indicates another important issue under discussion in the Bishops' Conference: the publication of the Bishops’ Message on the occasion of the next general elections, to be held in April 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2013)
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"
- 2014-11-07 - The Bishops in defense of indigenous people appeal to the InterAmerican Commission on Human Rights
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence