ASIA/PAKISTAN - Year of Faith: antidote to terrorism and violence in Punjab
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - Rediscover and renew one’s faith, deepen catechism, work for the new evangelization is an antidote to the spread of sectarian violence in the province of Punjab, the most important in Pakistan: this is what emerged from a meeting on the Year of Faith, promoted in recent days in Lahore by His Exc. Mgr. Sebastian Francis Shaw OFM, apostolic Administrator of Lahore. As reported to Fides, the Bishop, with the representatives of the clergy, religious and laity of the Archdiocese, spoke of "positive approach to evangelization, which can help people understand and appreciate the teaching of the Church in society."
As reported to Fides by Fr. Bernard Inayat, among the priests present, the meeting focused on the celebrations on the occasion of the Year of Faith, which was declared by Benedict XVI. Fr. Bernard Inayat, Secretary of the catechetical Commission of the Archdiocese of Lahore, stressed that the permanent formation of catechists continues in all the parishes. In addition, the catechists, especially lay people, become in turn promoters of meetings and celebrations of prayer in their communities, with the intention of promoting the values of peace and harmony and defuse hatred and violence that terrorist groups sow in society.
The Capuchin Friar Francesco Sabar spoke of meetings and initiatives in villages and towns for school children, while the Dominican Fr. Yaqoob Farooq spoke of seminars organized on the "Creed" in the district of Sheikupura. Fr. Younas Hussain from Sialkot, remarked that the sharing of faith helps to strengthen the faithful in social relations. Considerable number of initiatives have been organized by the Catholic Women Organization, centered on the dignity of women. Fr. Ashraf Gill spoke in particular of the mission that continues among tribal peoples, while the Missionaries of Charity in Lahore have set up a blood donation for patients and hospitals, which involved many young people in the area. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - "Terrorism and intolerance are the wounds of Pakistan"
- 2014-07-24 - Also displaced Christians and Hindus from North Waziristan: no to discrimination
- 2014-07-05 - Escape from terrorism and extremism: the exodus of religious minorities has started
- 2014-07-03 - Terrorist groups settle in the Christian area of Essa Nagri in Karachi
- 2014-07-01 - Solidarity towards the orphans of the massacre in the church of Peshawar
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Lahore: "A new springtime for the Church in our country"
- 2014-06-28 - Discrimination and violence against a Christian businessman, threatened by Islamic extremists
- 2014-06-25 - Petition filed at the High Court: fix a trial date for Asia Bibi
- 2014-06-24 - Historic decision: the birth of the "National Council for the rights of minorities"
- 2014-06-20 - Missio-Aachen: a year dedicated to Pakistan