AFRICA/MADAGASCAR – Deep emotion for the killing of a nun
Antananarivo (Agenzia Fides) - The murder of a French nun caused deep emotion in Mandritsara in the north-east of Madagascar. Sister Marie Emmanuel Helesbeux was killed on 1 March in a village in Madagascar. "The nun was first hit with a stick and then strangled. Three people have been arrested and confessed to the crime. It seems that they owed the victim money " refers to Fides Agency Fr. Luca Treglia, Director of Radio Don Bosco in Antananarivo.
Sister Marie Emmanuel Helesbeux of the Soeurs de la Providence (also known as "Soeurs de Saint Thérèse d'Avesnes) was 82 years old, 42 of which she spent on mission in Madagascar always in Mandritsara.
"Upon hearing of the death of Sister Marie Emmanuel people took to the streets wanting to get justice. The religious was much loved and respected in Mandritsara for her works of charity. The authorities have appealed for calm. " concludes Fr. Luca. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Food insecurity opens the door to tuberculosis
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - National dialogue mediated by the Ecumenical Council of Christian Churches begins
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - One person was killed in a demonstration against the alleged killers of Sister Marie Emmanuel
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR – Deep emotion for the killing of a nun
- 2013-01-16 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Food-for-work: plan to keep the forests and help the people
- 2012-12-13 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Traditional midwives help save women in childbirth
- 2012-12-03 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - An investigation into alleged violence of the soldiers in the south has been announced
- 2012-11-26 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR -Prisoners: also condemned to chronic malnutrition
- 2012-11-06 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - One out of 7 women is sexually exploited: poverty allows prostitution to spread
- 2012-10-25 AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - A dispensary and a center for the disabled have been inaugurated, a light of hope for the people of Madagascar