AFRICA/MADAGASCAR – Deep emotion for the killing of a nun
Antananarivo (Agenzia Fides) - The murder of a French nun caused deep emotion in Mandritsara in the north-east of Madagascar. Sister Marie Emmanuel Helesbeux was killed on 1 March in a village in Madagascar. "The nun was first hit with a stick and then strangled. Three people have been arrested and confessed to the crime. It seems that they owed the victim money " refers to Fides Agency Fr. Luca Treglia, Director of Radio Don Bosco in Antananarivo.
Sister Marie Emmanuel Helesbeux of the Soeurs de la Providence (also known as "Soeurs de Saint Thérèse d'Avesnes) was 82 years old, 42 of which she spent on mission in Madagascar always in Mandritsara.
"Upon hearing of the death of Sister Marie Emmanuel people took to the streets wanting to get justice. The religious was much loved and respected in Mandritsara for her works of charity. The authorities have appealed for calm. " concludes Fr. Luca. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
AFRICA/MADAGASCAR – DEEP EMOTION FOR THE KILLING OF A NUN
- 2015-06-16 - No to impeachment against the President; one is moving towards the formation of a new government
- 2015-05-28 - The President denies the motion for dismissal, the Bishops denounce "the culture of corruption"
- 2015-05-27 - "We are going back to chaos," says a missionary after the vote to remove the President
- 2015-04-29 - Half the population has no access to drinking water, 4,000 children die every year
- 2014-11-26 - Nearly two million children have dropped out of school to work
- 2014-07-10 - Catholic priest taken hostage by bandits has been released
- 2014-01-17 - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new Head of State
- 2013-12-21 - 5 million people exposed to plague
- 2013-11-21 - The Bishops: "heal the wounds caused by the political crisis"
- 2013-10-10 - In the wake of the cyclone Haruna