AMERICA/MEXICO – A 13-year-old hired assassin killed: the local Bishop’s appeal to families
Zacatecas (Agenzia Fides) - "The State must do its part as well as the Church and especially the family must sow values," said Mgr. Sigifredo Noriega Barceló, Bishop of the diocese of Zacatecas. "In these times of change, of violence, we must review the dignity of the person and not lose the values that must be sown in the family" he reiterated at the news of the murder of a 13-year-old boy, accused of being a hired assassin.
According to the local press, the minor had been stopped by the police on February 4 for having killed at least 10 people, but released a few hours later because the State law of Zacatecas cannot detain a child under 14 years of age.
After this terrible deed, the State Attorney, Arturo Nahle Garcia, proposed to revise the minimum age to penalize young people, because he himself had described the teenager as extremely dangerous and was against the idea of releasing him.
Violence in Mexico does not stop in the area of Zacatecas, only during this past weekend the bodies of 10 people killed were found. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations