AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - A Catholic priest in Tripoli was attacked by armed militia men. This was reported by local sources Fides Agency according to which the fact happened on Saturday, March 2. "The situation is not good for Christians both in Tripoli and Benghazi" refer our sources.
In Benghazi last week a group of armed men attacked a church in Benghazi assaulting two priests of the Egyptian Coptic community. This was announced by the Libyan Foreign Ministry
strongly condemning the incident, "contrary to the laws," of Islam and international law. Between 50 and 100 Copts were arrested in the capital of Cyrenaica charged with proselytizing. Thanks to the intervention of the Egyptian Minister of Foreign Affairs and of the Egyptian embassy in Tripoli, the group of Copts in Egypt was expelled and accusations of proselytism were withdrawn.
On February 13, 4 people of different nationalities, members of a Protestant community were arrested on charges of proselytism. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - Despite the clashes in Benghazi markets are well stocked
- 2014-10-20 - Elements of the Islamic State and Boko Haram are in Libya, says the Prime Minister
- 2014-10-16 - "Bombing continues, with less intensity", says the Apostolic Vicar of Benghazi
- 2014-10-15 - "The population is locked in the house, fighting continues on the outskirts of Benghazi", says the Apostolic Vicar
- 2014-09-25 - Not only in Syria and Iraq, air raids also continue in Libya
- 2014-09-11 - Ethnic groups and oil in the Libyan civil war
- 2014-09-01 - “We no longer hear bomb explosions, the situation would seem calmer” says Bishop Martinelli
- 2014-08-04 - "Even if only one Christian remains I will stay here", says the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli
- 2014-07-14 - Worrying situation in Tripoli after clashes at the airport
- 2014-05-21 - "NATO office in Tripoli has been hit" says Mgr. Martinelli to Fides