AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - A Catholic priest in Tripoli was attacked by armed militia men. This was reported by local sources Fides Agency according to which the fact happened on Saturday, March 2. "The situation is not good for Christians both in Tripoli and Benghazi" refer our sources.
In Benghazi last week a group of armed men attacked a church in Benghazi assaulting two priests of the Egyptian Coptic community. This was announced by the Libyan Foreign Ministry
strongly condemning the incident, "contrary to the laws," of Islam and international law. Between 50 and 100 Copts were arrested in the capital of Cyrenaica charged with proselytizing. Thanks to the intervention of the Egyptian Minister of Foreign Affairs and of the Egyptian embassy in Tripoli, the group of Copts in Egypt was expelled and accusations of proselytism were withdrawn.
On February 13, 4 people of different nationalities, members of a Protestant community were arrested on charges of proselytism. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - Rumors of a coup denied: "calm situation in Tripoli", say Fides sources
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/LIBYA - " Despite the uncertainty of today I am confident that peace can explode" said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2013-09-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Threats to the distribution of water in Tripoli
- 2013-09-03 AFRICA/LIBYA - Libya struggles to find stability two years after Gaddafi’s escape from Tripoli
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi