AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - A Catholic priest in Tripoli was attacked by armed militia men. This was reported by local sources Fides Agency according to which the fact happened on Saturday, March 2. "The situation is not good for Christians both in Tripoli and Benghazi" refer our sources.
In Benghazi last week a group of armed men attacked a church in Benghazi assaulting two priests of the Egyptian Coptic community. This was announced by the Libyan Foreign Ministry
strongly condemning the incident, "contrary to the laws," of Islam and international law. Between 50 and 100 Copts were arrested in the capital of Cyrenaica charged with proselytizing. Thanks to the intervention of the Egyptian Minister of Foreign Affairs and of the Egyptian embassy in Tripoli, the group of Copts in Egypt was expelled and accusations of proselytism were withdrawn.
On February 13, 4 people of different nationalities, members of a Protestant community were arrested on charges of proselytism. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2013)
- 2015-03-25 - The Islamic State claim new attacks
- 2015-03-23 - After two days of bombing, the situation is calm in Tripoli
- 2015-03-05 - The Islamic State takes advantage of the power vacuum
- 2015-02-17 - “Filipinos are the only ones who remain to serve the growing medical needs of our people” says Bishop Martinelli
- 2015-01-28 - Assault on Tripoli: the shadow of the Islamic State on the shores of the Mediterranean
- 2015-01-13 - Copts kidnapped: jihadist websites spread photos
- 2014-12-19 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Foreign staff on the run from a looted hospital; health care system collapsing
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Not only local militia, also foreign interests clash in Libya
- 2014-10-24 - Despite the clashes in Benghazi markets are well stocked
- 2014-10-20 - Elements of the Islamic State and Boko Haram are in Libya, says the Prime Minister