ASIA/NEPAL - Fasting against corruption
Kathmandu (Agenzia Fides) - A group of human rights activists launched a hunger strike to protest against corruption in the country. For six days, the coordinator of the initiative, the activist Sharada Bhusal, is in the central "Ratnapark" in Kathmandu, where he is fasting publicly. As reported to Fides from local sources, other activists have joined him in fasting and hundreds of people of civil society and of all religious communities are supporting the anti-corruption campaign. Sharada Bhusal has not eaten for a week, he only drinks a little water. His health has deteriorated significantly and, according to doctors, his life could be at significant risk.
The protest came from the population of the district of Mahottari, in the central region of Nepal, which accuses the local district of corruption, and is addressed in particular to the "Commission for the investigation of abuse of authority" (CIAA). The anti-corruption activists have filed a complaint to the Commission, on the fact that millions of rupees allocated for the committees of village development in the district of Mahottari ended up in the pockets of local officials. An official is accused of embezzling 1.9 million Nepali rupees (about 22 thousand dollars), another is accused of embezzlement of 7 million rupees. The activists report that they have received threats and warnings to not make irregularities public. The Commission today called on activists to end the fast, promising "a speedy and transparent investigation." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 01/03/2013)
- 2014-06-24 - 40 Christian leaders arrested for "forced conversions": religious freedom at risk
- 2014-06-02 - The new Apostolic Vicar walks "in the light of the Word of God"
- 2014-05-02 - A vigil to announce the new Bishop and pray for reconciliation
- 2014-04-16 - Great joy for 60 newly baptized during the Easter Vigil
- 2013-11-04 - Protestant Christian pastor killed while praying
- 2013-05-06 - We need to change behavioral attitudes to combat malnutrition
- 2013-03-01 - Fasting against corruption
- 2012-12-17 - Dramatic situation of malnourished children and mothers without medical assistance
- 2012-12-14 - Christians contest the census of the government
- 2012-12-12 - Pilot project to assist women who have suffered violence