AFRICA/EGYPT - Elections at Easter: Copts protest, possible postponement
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) – The decision taken by President Morsi to hold parliamentary elections in Egypt on a date which would coincide with Coptic Easter celebrations may be reconsidered, following a protest by Egyptian Christians. Fides was informed of this by the Auxiliary Bishop of Alexandria of Coptic Catholics, Bishop Botros Fahim Awad Hanna. “A possible postponement” Bishop Anba Fahim Hanna told Fides “could be explained with the subterfuge that the second round of elections would coincide with the national holiday of Sham al-Nasseem, a festivity of pharaonic origin which celebrates Spring and falls on Easter Monday”.
The first date of political elections has been set for 27 April, the Saturday before Palm Sunday. The second round of elections would fall on 5 May, the Sunday on which this year Coptic Christians celebrate Easter. “Our political leaders chose the dates because they never take the calendar of Christian festivities into consideration” the Coptic Catholic Bishop told Fides “because no one around them is in a position to advise when a date is inopportune. In these matters they are completely in the dark. This is why yesterday we saw an explosion of protests on the social network. However, certain prominent Christians were able to make their voices reach the Presidential offices, in order to warn those responsible that the inconvenient choice of election dates the could cause fresh social tensions and revolts.” (GV) (Agenzia Fides 23/2/2013).
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays